The mission of the Soft Goods Engineering team is to develop and launch world-class products that integrate technical soft goods across all of Facebook’s product lines. We work closely with a wide array of creative, technical and operations partners as we push the boundaries of what is possible. As a Soft Goods Product Design Engineer at Facebook, you will take a critical role in designing novel soft goods solutions for cutting-edge consumer electronics devices. As a member of our team, you will take the lead exploring and refining your designs through iterative prototyping, while working with a team of talented engineers, designers and manufacturers. You will refine selected designs and coordinate with manufacturing experts during the production process. Our ideal candidate has a strong mechanical background with soft goods expertise, excellent prototyping skills, expert 3D CAD capability, and experience in designing and manufacturing consumer technology products.
Product Design Engineer, Soft Goods Responsibilities:
1. Design and develop new soft-goods design for high-volume consumer electronic devices for Facebook’s portfolio of products.
2. Working with small teams of engineers and vendors to deliver project goals with an emphasis on quality, innovation and collaboration.
3. Own soft goods engineering activities for an entire product throughout the entire product lifecycle, from definition and creation, through design, production, and next-gen improvements.
4. Implement sound engineering processes and systematic approaches, while solving diverse design and manufacturing challenges.
5. Serve as a resident expert in soft goods design engineering and design for soft goods manufacturing processes.
6. Contribute to the creation of technical specifications and product definition.
7. Test and evaluate soft goods design components for manufacturability and performance.
8. Coordinate with soft goods manufacturing experts to optimize part design and production processes.
9. Collaborate with industrial designers and other engineering disciplines to identify challenges and offer solutions.
10. BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or equivalent experience
11. 4+ years of experience in soft goods engineering or product design engineering with soft goods experience
12. 4+ years of experience in 3D modeling in SolidWorks, Pro/E or NX (NX preferred)
13. Expert knowledge in engineering fundamentals for soft goods manufacturing processes (textiles, foam, leather, adhesives, silicone)
14. Knowledge in mechanical design fundamentals for typical consumer electronics design (injection molding, stamping, casting, MIM, machining, etc.)
15. Soft Goods manufacturing expertise and proven record of shipping quality products
16. Experience working with China-based vendors remotely and in-person
17. Experience building and assembling soft goods prototypes in the shop
18. Experience mentoring others, leading by example, and elevating the engineering excellence of your team
19. Experience shipping products in a new product category
20. Mandarin and/or Cantonese language skills
21. Experience with human factors and wearable technologies
**Equal Opportunity:** Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.