* Verifies test requisitions by comparing information with nursing station log; bringing discrepancies to the attention of unit personnel.
* Verifies patient by reading patient identification.
* Obtains blood specimens by performing venipunctures and fingersticks.
* Maintains specimen integrity by using aseptic technique, following department procedures; observing isolation procedures.
* Collects therapeutic drug-monitoring assays by collaborating with nursing personnel to ensure appropriate drug dose to collection time.
* spin, pour off, manifest specimens, blood, urine and stool, get them prepared for the courier.
* Tracks collected specimens by initialing, dating, and noting times of collection; maintaining daily tallies of collections performed.
* Monitors glucose levels by performing bedside glucose tests; recording results; reporting results to unit nurse-manager.
* Performs bleeding-times tests by entering results to the computer; notifying pathologist of results falling outside normal ranges.
* Maintains quality results by following department procedures and testing schedule; recording results in the quality-control log; identifying and reporting needed changes.
* Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
* Resolves unusual test orders by contacting the physician, pathologist, nursing station, or reference laboratory; referring unresolved orders back to the originator for further clarification; notifying supervisor of unresolved orders.
* Enhances phlebotomy department and hospital reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.