Promotes professional development through the application of principles of adult learning in broad-based program development. Leveraging expertise in KP's electronic medical record,KP HealthConnect (KPHC), responsible for identifying, prioritizing,& evaluating, the educational & professional development needs of a clinical area;develops & delivers clinical educational programs, including specialty training, new graduate/hire training, continuing education for staff,& training for upgrades & changes to KPHC. Coordinates nursing competence & professional development programs for Patient Care Srv Area for an assigned/defined clinical area. Conducts ongoing assessments of proficiencies for PCS staff & management & provide feedback & formal action plans management. Serves as the KPHC expert & applies this knowledge into clinical & operational workflows.
- Clinical Educator:Provides educational opportunities that benefit nurses at all stages of their career development. Assists learners in the assessment of needs & identification of outcomes. Incorporates principles of adult learning in implementation of education programs. Identifies & evaluates high quality, culturally diverse instructional materials in all types of media & formats. Adjusts content & teaching strategies to meet learner needs. Provides ongoing assessment of individual performance in clinical & KPHC proficiencies for PCS staff & Mgmt & reports to Dir of Clinical Education, Practice,& Informatics. Identifies individuals who do not meet established competency expectations & recommends a formal action plan to PCS Mgmt.
- Program & Curriculum Development/Evaluation: Develops, designs, evaluates, & manages professional development programs based on principles of adult learning that foster the development of competence in the nursing staff. Conducts ongoing evaluation of the quality & effectiveness of educational activities to ensure they maintain & enhance professional development & promote the delivery of cost-effective high quality healthcare. Develops/coordinates education plans related to orientation of new staff to the organization, initial & ongoing competency validation, core education to address patient population specific nursing care,& core education for the development of beside leaders.
- Clinical practice standards:Responds to changes in nursing practice/nursing theory & develops programs to support those changes. Conducts research into professional & community practice standards, technology, clinical informatics, & clinical innovations for improved patient care.
- Clinical informatics expert:Ensures that KPHC is leveraged for the benefit of nursing practice & improved excellence in patient care systems & processes. Assesses opportunities to support clinical practices through the use of KPHC by analyzing clinical workflow to determine current practices & facilitating the improvement of specific nursing practices & processes.
- Partnerships/Leadership Duties:Participates in interdisciplinary committees to integrate educational activities into clinical care & clinical informatics/appropriate use of KPHC into educational activities & clinical care. Addresses KPHC & workflow issues through Regional Domains, local Domains & Cross Functional Domain. Provides leadership for clinical IT enhancements.
- Oversight:Provides investigation, recommendation, prioritization & evaluation of clinical risk, & correction plans for arising concerns & issues as a result of KPHC & clinical edu. Monitors, tracks, & follows up on such concerns/issues. Escalates any patient safety issues identified w/workflow disruptions.
- This job description is not all encompassing.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience coordinating or managing education program/curriculum design, development and evaluation/assessment, including two (2) years in staff professional development and/or clinical training/teaching.
- BSN or bachelor's degree in health care or related field required, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current California RN license required.
- BLS certificate required.
- Knowledge of Nurse Practice Act, federal, state, and local requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge in KP HealthConnect including functionality and expertise in workflows (or for external hires, similarly integrated medical record).
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical center policy and procedure requirements, specialty training and competency requirements.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Master's degree in nursing, education, or other closely related field preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge in performance improvement practices preferred.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
TITLE: Clinical & Informatics Educator, RN - Santa Clara, ICU
LOCATION: Santa Clara, California
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.