San Diego Hotel
With miles of sandy beaches and a year-round average 70-degree temperature, there is no better place to live and work than sunny San Diego! Within this seaside paradise lies the newly renovated, four-star, Omni San Diego Hotel; a place dedicated to providing a superior experience for both associates and guests.
Omni San Diego's associates enjoy a dynamic and exciting work environment, comprehensive training and mentoring, along with the pride that comes from working for a company with a reputation for exceptional service. The Omni San Diego Hotel's commitment to serve our associates and nurture their growth has led to the company's highest rating in associate satisfaction and an impressive internal promotion rate. We embody a culture of respect, gratitude and empowerment day in and day out. If you are a friendly, motivated person, with a passion to serve others, the Omni San Diego Hotel may be your perfect match.
Be a key part of the leadership team driving operational excellence for Omni Hotels & Resorts - a luxury hotel brand known for its outstanding cuisine, award-winning service and vibrant culture. The Executive Chef is responsible for ensuring a sensational culinary experience for our clientele and associates at the Omni San Diego Hotel. This role ensures guests have an exceptional culinary experience by developing a modern and contemporary approach to culinary that meets the needs of the present-day traveler while also differentiating the Omni brand. For this key leadership position, we are open to considering all candidates, including those currently residing outside the United States. The position includes oversight of all food production for significant Banquet and Catering functions, Zumbido (lobby bar concept), our seasonal Terrace Bar, VIP welcome activations and amenities, our associate cafeteria, and oversight of the Stewarding team. This dynamic and inventive environment requires a leader who has exceptional skills in menu creation, organization, inter-departmental collaboration, creativity, food cost management, health and safety codes, and employee relations. The Executive Chef is responsible for the execution of all Omni Hotel and company policies/procedures, ensuring that all services provided achieve the established standards within the agreed budgetary controls. The Executive Chef will also advise the Director of Operations on all matters relating to the kitchen areas and effectively liaise with our free-standing restaurant, McCormick & Schmick's. He/she will also ensure a high standard of cleanliness and hygienic practice throughout the kitchen.
- To assist the Director of Operations in budgeting i.e. food cost/payroll/etc. When agreed, control all overheads/achieve food cost budget throughout the coming year/report all variances from actual budget with the reasons and recommendations for corrective action
- Work with other Food and Beverage Department managers to assess the market potential for food outlets relating to the market competitors and the availability of the product
- In conjunction with the Director of Operations, plan and implement menu design, creating suitable dishes and passing standards recipes with costing
- To work with the Director of Operations with capital expenditure items for the food and beverage department
- Ensure guest satisfaction with the smooth and effective running of the day-to-day operation
- To maintain control of the standards for purchasing and receiving items
- Work closely with the Shipping and Receiving Supervisor to establish and maintain control of the standards for purchasing and receiving items. To test and evaluate products for quality, paying particular attention to yield/holding qualities/market price/wastage usage of leftovers
- To control requisitioning of food quantities, by forecasting volume, to achieve maximum profitability by avoiding over/under production
- To create recipes and production methods
- To compile new banquet, catering, wedding, and outlet menus
- Constantly inspect all food service sections during service time to ensure that the correct standards are maintained
- Responsible for control of equipment and scheduling maintenance
- To maintain an up-to-date knowledge of local and international market trends in order to create food products which satisfy guest needs, thereby maximizing sales opportunities in food outlets
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of competitors food production/offering
- Assist in the promotion of in-house sales activities, such as lobby activations, site inspection WOWs, chef specialties, culinary competitions, etc.
- To plan/organize/control the efficient and effective utilization of all food production staff, especially in scheduling and controlling overtime
- To interview/recruit suitable staff for the operation, in conjunction with Associate Services (HR) and the Director of Operations
- To oversee the training/development of all kitchen staff by ensuring that effective on and off the job training is carried out
- Be aware of state legislation in employment and industrial relations
- To establish effective and efficient office procedures in handling daily menus/banquet menus/purchase requirements/general correspondence/filing and records
- To perform all duties applicable to a department manager within the hotel
- To conduct/attend all required department meetings
- Responsible for all scheduling, purchasing, quality control and associate development in all areas of kitchen
- Daily follow up on all product freshness, rotation and development.
- Communicate all safety and sanitation policies through daily dialogue with all hourly staff
- Develop and challenge existing processes of standardization with focus on innovation, expense control, and quality
- Minimum 10 years in hotel culinary operations
- Must have experience in menu planning, purchasing, managing the kitchen staff and inventory
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent preferred
- Certification of apprenticeship program or Culinary certification
- San Diego County Food-handler's card or Serve-Safe Certification will be required prior to the start of employment
- Candidate must have at least 5 years' experience in an Executive Chef kitchen management capacity and excellent knowledge of current culinary trends
- Must be competent in culinary creativity and client relations as demonstrated by a tasting
- Strong knowledge of food cost and inventories
- Candidate must have good knowledge of computers (i.e: Excel & Word).
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to teach associates importance of, and how to interact with, internal/external guests and professionally solve challenges
- Ensure all safety and security policies are followed
- Experience managing payroll, operating within budgeted guidelines
* Omni Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer - vets/disability. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement are available using the following links: EEOC is the Law Poster and the following link in the OFCCP's Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination policy statement
* If you are interested in applying for employment with Omni Hotels & Resorts and need special assistance to apply for a posted position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org