Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
As a Research Intern in 3D Data Visualization of Hand Based Interactions at Facebook Reality Labs, you will explore, prototype, and build experiences that define the future of how people interact in AR. You love solving novel problems from first principles. Work alongside expert Interaction Designers, Scientists, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers and Software Engineers to visualize current and future hand based interactions. This position is a Summer 2021 internship and based in Redmond, WA.Our internships are twelve (12) to twenty four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
1. Plan and develop cutting-edge visualizations to model AR/VR interactions and data streams
2. Collaborate with other researchers and engineers to develop, prototype, and test hardware and software solutions.
3. Produce publishable research that appears in top-tier journals or at leading international conferences.
4. Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
5. Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in design or related design field
6. Portfolio featuring examples of 3D Data Visualization
7. 2+ year experience programming in Unity or C++
8. Proven experience to contribute to design in a cross-functional environment
9. Communication skills – you should be able to articulate your design decisions
10. Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-cultural collaboration
11. Experience integrating novel hardware with Unity
12. Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op
**Equal Opportunity:** Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.