Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
We build systems that allow billions of people all over the world to connect and communicate using whatever devices they have available. Our researchers and engineers are constant innovators as they design and build scalable, fast, reliable, and efficient systems. Moreover, fast evolving social apps and highly dynamic social workloads present many unique research opportunities. From distributed systems, to data centers, hardware, storage, mobile and beyond, the entire Facebook platform is our lab for research, development, and innovation.
As a Research Scientist at Facebook, you will help build the systems behind Facebook's products, create web applications that reach millions of people, build high volume servers and be a part of a team that’s working to help connect people around the globe. The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in relevant engineering fields, such as (but not limited to) distributed software systems, storage systems, data warehousing and analytics, database systems, operating systems, networking systems, programming languages, compilers & runtime systems, security & privacy, cryptography, and mobile systems.
2. Design flexible APIs for Facebook product teams developing applications for web and mobile.
3. Analyze the shortcomings of existing systems.
4. Design and build systems to constantly be at the cutting edge.
5. Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD in Computer Science, related STEM or quantitative field
6. Research and/or work experience in Algorithms, Architecture, Compilers, Databases, Data Mining, Distributed Systems, Mobile, Networking, Operating Systems, Programming Languages, Security, Cryptography, or Storage
7. Knowledge in C++, Java, PHP or Python
8. Knowledge of relational databases and SQL
9. Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
10. Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
**Equal Opportunity:** Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.