Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Facebook Design community is pioneering technologies to bring people closer together, and our teams share in the responsibility of doing it at a global scale. We are committed to designing and building Facebook apps and technologies -- the Facebook app, Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, Facebook Reality Labs, Workplace, Portal and Novi to serve a diverse global community. Facebook is looking for a Product Design Director with strong design, communication and leadership skills. As a Product Design Director, you will lead and manage teams to ensure our products and features are valuable for people, businesses and communities, are easy to use, and of the highest level of craft and execution. In this role, you'll be a foundational member on the leadership team, working together with your product partners in engineering, data science, UX research, content design, and other disciplines to define the strategy, operations, and communications that guide the team to build great products addressing real user needs.The ideal candidate will have strong fundamentals in people management; org building; systems, interaction and visual design; experience elevating design quality and efficacy in a data-informed product culture, and a passion for equalizing global access to our product experiences. The role supports a large team of designers in multiple offices and countries working across multiple products simultaneously. This description represents roles across Facebook.
1. Build and manage a talented, diverse, inclusive team of product designers and leaders that consistently delivers on projects and is well-balanced across a range of design skill sets.
2. Drive collaboration and vision across the company to build alignment on priorities leading to product design and execution.
3. Shape the product roadmap, both short term and long-term.
4. Partner closely with a world-class (and global) team of product managers, engineers, content designers, user experience researchers, data scientists, and product growth analysts to deliver high quality experiences for people across markets, platforms and product surfaces.
5. Oversee multiple projects and scale design resources accordingly, ensuring deadlines are met, your org is effective, and team members are set up for success by setting clear and measurable goals.
6. Develop design talent and build a thriving culture where designers grow in their careers and feel a strong sense of inclusion and belonging.
7. Design and scale the organization and equip the team for success in their goals.
8. Foster a strong, collaborative design practice.
9. 6+ years of experience in Product Design
10. 6+ years of leadership experience with direct reports under your guidance and leadership, including hiring and developing senior managers and individual contributors
11. 6+ years of experience working collaboratively with product, engineering, design, content and user research teams
12. Senior people management, team development, recruiting and org building experience
13. Experience growing a strategic design practice within design teams
14. Visual and interaction experience in software design
15. Organizational and analytical experience
**Equal Opportunity:** Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.