The Medical Assistant performs basic direct patient care activities, such as lab tests, treatments, and medication/immunization administration. These are performed under the direction of the Nurse and/or the physician in preparation for the patient's examination and treatment. The incumbent carries out clerical activities, quality control activities, performance improvement initiatives, etc. in support of the physician practice as assigned. This position also serves as a resource for the clerical/clinical staff in the practice.
Essential Job Functions
- Deliver direct and indirect patient care in accordance with hospital/physician practices policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Assist to collects patient healthcare data, including VS, weight, chief complaint and pain assessment as directed.
- Complete patient care treatments and testing as ordered.
- Comply with completeness, accuracy and timeliness of documentation.
- Prepare patients for examinations, treatments, and procedures.
- Communicate pertinent information of actual or potential problems to the physician or nurse.
- Perform clerical functions in support of patient care and office functions.
- Answer telephone calls, taking accurate messages and relaying them to the appropriate staff.
- Obtain and verify accurate patient demographic and insurance information entering it into the billing system.
- Accurately enter codes, based on diagnosis given, and enters codes and charges into billing system.
- Complete forms and letters necessary for continued patient care.
- Provide for patient safety in compliance with hospital and physician practice policies.
- Label all patient specimens with identifiers per policy.
- Adhere to infection control process, including standard precautions, to reduce the risk of acquiring or transmitting infections.
- Assist in continuous survey readiness or inspections and surveys.
- Perform all quality control, monitoring functions and reports out of range information immediately to supervisor.
- Consistently practice National Patient Safety Goals.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to schedule surgery, procedures, and testing for patients.
- Exit counseling which includes education, scheduling of testing and providing patients with necessary information.
- Prepare charts for clinic sessions and obtain vital signs and weight.
- Perform control studies and completes log books according to policy.
- Perform phlebotomy procedures, reads the test results, and documents accordingly.
- Prepare the exam rooms and stocks supplies daily.
- Provide pre and post-examination education and counseling.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Strong leadership ability, good organizational skills, independent and critical thinking skills, sound judgment, and knowledge of legal aspects and liability of nursing practice.
- Strong ability to communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to a wide and diverse audience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications, including Outlook and Excel.
- One Year experience as Medical Assistant in Orthopedic setting or equivalent.
- Experience obtaining insurance referrals, authorizations and scheduling surgeries.
License, Certification & Clearances
- Medical Assistant Certification preferred.
- PA Act 153 Clearances (Act 34-PA Criminal Record Check from the PA State Police system, Act 33-PA Child Abuse History obtained through the Department of Public Welfare, Act 73-FBI Fingerprint screening within 2 weeks of hire in order to meet 30 days of hire or transfer position requirement).
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) approved curriculum of the America Heart Association (CPR and AED) program.
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities, but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Incumbent will be scheduled based on operational need (rotate shifts, standby, on-call, etc.).
- Travel may be expected locally between Excela Health locations.
- Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to encourage consistent use of LEAN principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements. Recognizes the necessity of taking ownership of one’s own motivation, morale, performance and professional development. Strives for behavior consistent with being committed to Excela’s missions, vision and values.
- Excela Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Excela Health to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, non-job related disability, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected class. Excela Health will conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to perform the Essential Functions listed on the Physical Conditions and ability to perform the Essential Functions on the Working Condition chart below.
Licenses & Certifications
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECH
BASIC OFFICE/COMPUTERS: Expert
MICROSOFT OFFICE: ExpertEqual Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)