Senior Controls Engineer
North Haven, Connecticut, United States
Apr 09, 2021
**Careers that Change Lives**
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The **Senior Controls Engineer** will provide expertise in the specification, development, validation and commissioning of production assembly tooling and automation equipment. This will support the New Product Development (NPD) efforts for innovative surgical devices. As a key member of project extended teams, the Senior Controls Engineer will specify, integrate, purchase, qualify and validate equipment and tooling to optimize the assembly process for Safety, Quality, Cost, and Functionality. He/she will also work directly with the project team, sourcing and approved suppliers in support of equipment design, assembly process strategy and acceptance testing to meet or exceed project milestones and overall business Time to Market (TTM) requirements. The Senior Controls Engineer will work under the direction of an RD AME Manager in a fast paced collaborative environment supportive of program initiatives and compliant with company best practices.
1. Plan and develop technical and financial specifications for reliability, prototype and production assembly tooling and automation equipment.
2. Provide input to the Assembly Tooling Strategy (ATS) and process FMEA, planning and integration of controls method to mitigate risks with high ranking.
3. Contributor to the capital expense request (CER) process, specifying costs for assembly equipment, with consideration to product standard cost targets and capacity demands.
4. Key team member in the supplier selection process, including preparation of RFQs and review of technical proposals.
5. Generate electronic purchase requisitions based on quotations from selected suppliers for design
6. Strategic supplier contacts during assembly equipment design phase, fabrication and acceptance testing, providing technical and statistical support and project management resources.
7. Conduct assembly equipment design reviews, ensure supplier adherence to fabrication specifications and safety to comply with FDA requirements, preparation and execution of factory and site acceptance testing protocols, and summarizing technical reports.
8. Review machine documentation, generate as required and keep documentation up to date
9. Initiate and execute validation protocols to support assembly equipment release for production (Defining Documents, IQ, OQ, MSA).
10. Program, upgrade and troubleshoot PLCs, Human Machine Interfaces, vision and data acquisition systems on new and existing production equipment.
11. Provide technical training and support to maintenance, manufacturing, and engineering personnel in the operation and maintenance of automated assembly equipment.
12. Investigate and develop new controls technologies to continuously improve production operations.
13. Execute controls engineering product transfer deliverables from Pilot to the receiving Plant.
14. Advise management of any unmitigated risks and/or developments that could affect TTM or standard cost.
15. Assess the tooling for maintainability, manufacturability and robustness, perform capability analysis and provide technical reports
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC/NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Continue to develop Controls Engineering skills through additional training and education.
2. Provide leadership to subordinate team members while promoting the attainment of company goals.
3. Document lessons learned and implement best practices on all assigned projects.
4. Minimal Travel required, less than 5%.
5. Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
**Must Have: Minimum Requirements**
+ Bachelors degree required
+ Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 2 years relevant experience
**Nice to Have**
1. Experience in fast pace manufacturing environment with relevant controls area
2. Experience programming, manipulating, and troubleshooting PLC and HMI programs (Allen Bradley / Siemens platform); especially utilizing Allen Bradley RSLogix Studio 5000, FactoryTalk and AutoCAD Electrical drawing package
3. Experience installation of production line machinery, commissioning and performing acceptance tests
4. Experience in the design, development, and troubleshooting of vision inspection systems (Cognex / Keyence).
5. Experience in the design and use of data acquisition systems and real time automation. Proficiency in the setup, programming, and manipulation of data bases using SQL servers as well as Rockwell
6. Experience with electrical, electro-pneumatic and machine guarding safety standards.
7. Experience in the application of machine motion controls (torque, speed, position), servo mechanism, specifically Allen Bradley Kinetix servo systems
8. Experience in the use of LabVIEW software including setup, programming and troubleshooting of the software and programs
9. Experience developing, installing and maintaining pneumatic and electro-pneumatic systems.
10. Experience with medical device manufacturing environment
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Lets work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.