WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock's 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com .
Assistant Superintendent, Paper Machine - Jacksonville, FL
9469 Eastport Rd, P. O. Box 26998
Jacksonville, Florida, 32218
Assistant Superintendent, Paper Machine
Seminole Mill - Jacksonville, FL
Seminole Mill has an immediate opening for an Assistant Superintendent on Paper Machine #1. The incumbent will provide support to the operations of #1 Paper Machine to expand the capabilities of the process, personnel, and sustain best in class operating and cost performance. This role will be heavily involved in training and development, identification, and execution of process improvement projects, assisting with the day to day operations on the paper machines, and troubleshooting the paper making process. Under the direction of the Paper Machine Superintendent, the successful candidate must exercise discretion and independent judgment in prioritizing work. Results are reviewed through mill key performance metrics for safety, quality, cost and productivity.
How you will impact WestRock:
- Accountable for safety results on respective machine, actively promotes and models safety in all aspects of daily mill operations.
- Investigates and creates countermeasures for a safety or environmental incident in area.
- Responsible for machine production results: monitors production, operating efficiencies, and costs to maximize mill profitability.
- Oversees all activities including training, development, and performance management of union hourly employee machine crews. Works closely with Capability Development Leaders to coordinate training and update materials as needed.
- Identifies and executes process improvement projects aimed at increasing safety, quality, and productivity utilizing LSS (Six Sigma) methodology.
- Identifies and prioritizes equipment maintenance
- Provides mill support as part of the Operations Call Duty rotation.
- Assists in troubleshooting and resolving operating issues on a daily basis including identification & execution of long-term corrective actions.
- Responsible for the planning and execution of scheduled field days and outages.
What you need to succeed:
- The preferred candidate will possess a bachelor's degree in Engineering, Paper Science or related field with 3 or more year's operations and supervisory experience within the paper industry.
(In lieu of degree, candidates must possess at least 7 years progressive and practical paper making experience with 3 or more years of paper machine supervisory experience.)
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Troubleshooting the paper making process using PI, DCs, paper machine, and Root cause analysis.
- Strong planning, organizational, time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of PI (Process Information System) utilization or equivalent process database.
- Knowledge of JDE or equivalent CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System).
- Knowledge of MS Office applications with a strong focus on Excel in order to store, organize and analyze department operational data as well as generate training documents.
- Strong functional knowledge of the paper manufacturing process including understanding of the pulping process, screening & cleaning, wet end operations, pressing, drying, and winding.
WestRock Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce: Minorities/Females/ Disabled/Veterans.