The Clinical Director plans, directs, coordinates and evaluates the overall clinical nursing practice and administrative activities, including the fiscal, materials and human resource management for assigned unit(s) with twenty-four hour accountability.
Essential Job Functions
- Establish and maintain a safe working environment; assure staff comply with safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines.
- Assure proper use of safety equipment and devices; hold individuals accountable if non-compliant.
- Assure completion of staff competencies including mandatory education and programs relative to job specific criteria.
- Promptly investigate and resolve Significant Occurrence Reports and incident reports as necessary.
- Align strategic compass with department goals; write compelling SMART goals in support of the organization's mission, vision, and values.
- Help employees understand importance of aligning goals with Excela Health mission.
- Equitably and consistently apply and practice policies and procedures for all staff.
- Practice and encourage staff readiness in compliance with agency regulations and guidelines.
- Improve HCAP scores according to fiscal year targets; demonstrate year over year improvement in service to internal and external customers.
- Respond to client service recovery issues within required time frame and to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Hold regular department meetings, assuring off shifts and satellite offices receive accurate information.
- Maintain a daily meeting board for purpose of displaying problem solving activity.
- Build and strengthen relations through the fostering of two-way communication; diffuse sources of conflict.
- Provide opportunities for staff to actively provide input into decision making process; seek input before decision is made.
- Encourage commitment of quality work throughout areas of responsibility.
- Understand and effectively deploy the LEAN tools to streamline work processes, eliminating waste and redundancy while improving productivity.
- Act on most urgent tasks; prioritize and delegate workable systems.
- Use critical thinking skills to proactively resolve issues that are de-railers to productivity and engagement.
- Lead at least one process improvement initiative for department per year; participate in at least one LEAN project per year outside of department.
- Clearly articulates what is expected of individuals and provides them with the materials and equipment to do their work.
- Adhere to productivity benchmarks for own department.
- Utilize employee engagement survey results in carrying out impact plans; demonstrate employee engagement by employee satisfaction results from survey to survey.
- Establish performance measures to equitably evaluate staff using objective and job-based criteria; coach toward compliance and addresses variances.
- Provide regular feedback, praise, and recognition; reward accomplishments and results appropriately.
- Hold staff accountable for consistently modeling the behavioral standards.
- Identify, evaluate, and select internal and external talent, assuring an acceptable fit with Excela Health desired culture; effectively match right person to right job.
- Provide opportunities for the education, training, and development of staff to help reach highest potential.
- Offer stretch assignments; create actionable development plans; encourage learning from setbacks and for future development.
- Actively support and participate in succession planning initiatives; identify high potentials and prepare them for possible future leadership opportunities within Excela Health.
- Take responsibility for own professional growth and development; attend required EHA leadership programs; network with colleagues to seek out best practices
- Introductory, transfer and periodic appraisals are required to be completed timely adhering to performance management guidelines. All Performance Management (introductory, transfer and periodic appraisals) must be completed in a designated electronic format.
- Consider financial impact of decisions; use financial concepts for decision making; monitor financial performance.
- Develop and manage department budget at or below budget expectations and consistent with adjusted volume variations.
- Identify and implement revenue enhancement opportunities.
- Seek opportunities to reduce operating costs while balancing quality resources.
- Submit timely variance reports that display knowledge of expenses and demonstrates continual plans to reduce variances; operate each year more effectively than one before.
- Stretch capital resources by extending life of existing assets.
- Coordinate the selection of vendors through established internal procurement procedures in an effort to drive down supplier costs while maintaining quality standards.
- Cognitive ability to function and concentrate on the essential and specialty functions of the job at a high level.
- Achieves thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing an essential or specialty function of the job.
- Ability to think and concentrate for an entire shift.
Specialty Job Functions
- Ensure the clinical practice is in accordance with the PA Nurse Practice Act, hospital policies, procedures and protocols and other professional standards of care; ensure the care is delivered in a continuous flow that produces desired patient outcomes.
- Hold staff accountable for complying with all aspects of the nursing process including, but not limited to, age specific needs and pain management.
- Ensure the care delivered is through an interdisciplinary effort that fosters a continuum of patient care that results in desired patient outcomes.
- Maintain an open communication with the medical staff and serve as a liaison to answer questions and resolve problems/issues.
- Provide support for the staff to enter into collaborative discussions to optimize patient outcomes, including direct care responsibilities, round with physicians, and respond to call bells/alarms as needed.
- Take a patient assignment or charge role to decrease staff shortages, including weekends and evenings and respond to patient care emergencies.
- Triaging patient admission, transfers and discharges to expedite bed availability.
- Review and finalize the department's staff scheduling process.
- Conduct patient care rounds on a regular basis.
- Execute bi-weekly payroll.
- Establish staffing patterns according to the department/unit scope of service and budgetary guidelines.
- Establish clear work objectives and standards to prioritize and focus staff efforts.
- Establish safety policies and procedures for the operation of equipment and service delivery practice in compliance with regulatory and organization guidelines.
- Collaborate with other disciplines and physicians in the delivery of services and the use of resources for quality patient care.
- Support continuous quality improvement by participation in the Excela performance improvement plan.
- Monitor competency of staff in clinical practice and expected organizational outcomes.
- Implement strategies to see a statistically significant increase in patient satisfaction.
- Meet or exceed standards of care to national benchmark status.
- Coordinate the educational process to ensure that patients/families and staff receive education specific to their clinical areas and the patients/families served.
- Ensure that patients/families are assigned as to their age specific needs, abilities, learning preference and readiness to learn.
- Ensure that appropriate educational activities are planned and implemented for patients/families and intervenes as necessary to improve educational performance.
- Collaborate with the education department to plan, implement and assess staff educational needs and competency based requirements.
- Facilitate the preceptor-orientee relationship and arranges for the orientation process.
- Promote compliance with practices that support infection control policies and a safe environment of care as identified by the organization, State, JCAHO, OSHA and other regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the policies and regulations and assures staff compliance.
- Respond to written variances in the safety inspection rounds and incident reports.
- Analyze and respond to trends in infection control report.
- Promote medication safety through a non-punitive reporting system and performance improvement activities.
- Support and monitor for a limited use of restraints.
- Support identified safety initiatives.
- Oversee the proper consistent utilization of patient and employee safety devices.
- Demonstrate knowledge of staff nurse informatics competencies.
- Ensure follow through for auditing processes are completed.
- Identify areas of knowledge and computer literacy gaps and request education programs that target learning needs.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of all computerized nursing patient care systems at Excela Health.
- Demonstrate ability to integrate query and auditing reports into staff nurse evaluations and clinical problem solving.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing or related field (i.e. Health Administration, Business, Public Health, or Management) required.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible nursing experience including supervision and leadership required.
- Advanced knowledge of nursing practice and exceptional leadership abilities which include, but are not limited to, interpersonal relation skills, supervisory skills, budgeting skills, ability to maintain and improve service excellence and clinical quality.
- Strong leadership ability, good organizational skills, independent and critical thinking skills, and sound judgment.
- Strong ability to communicate complex and/or controversial topics and concepts to a wide and diverse audience.
- No preferred qualifications.
License, Certification & Clearances
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Pennsylvania required.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) approved curriculum of the American Heart Association (CPR and AED) program required.
- PA Act 153 Clearance.
- National certification within two (2) years of hire or eligibility, whichever is shorter.
- This position has direct supervisory responsibilities and serves as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
- Management responsibilities include hiring, coaching, skills development, recognition and rewards, staff productivity and performance management.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Regular, consistent, on-site and timely attendance.
- Incumbent will be scheduled based on operational need (rotate shifts, standby, on-call, etc.).
- Travel may be expected locally between Excela Health locations.
- Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to encourage consistent use of LEAN principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements. Recognizes the necessity of taking ownership of one’s own motivation, morale, performance and professional development. Strives for behavior consistent with being committed to Excela’s missions, vision and values.
- Excela Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Excela Health to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, non-job related disability, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected class. Excela Health will conform to the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Licenses & Certifications
INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSH: Expert
Five (5) years of progressively responsible nursing experience including supervision and leadership required.Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)