Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Research Scientist to join the Systems Modeling and Optimization group within Core Data Science (CDS). Individuals in this role are expected to be comfortable working as a scientist, software engineer, and data scientist, and have a passion for solving real-world problems end-to-end through applied research and modeling. With a flexible range of projects, the ideal candidate will have a broad set of interests, including areas such as statistics, machine learning, optimization, experimental design, dynamical systems, differential privacy, and network science.
1. Work with a small group of research scientists that consult with business and product teams to execute practical solutions for real-world impact.
2. Quickly learn and deploy appropriate data science tools and methodologies, with tasks ranging from A/B testing to data analysis to production engineering to optimization and machine learning.
3. Research and develop new methodologies as needed for complex problems.
4. Perform and communicate quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
5. PhD in STEM field (Computer Science, Engineering, Operations Research, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Biostatistics etc.)
6. Research experience and publications in at least one of the following areas: statistics, machine learning, optimization, causal inference, dynamical systems, differential privacy, or network science
7. Fast, flexible learner excited about collaborating on cross-functional projects outside their immediate subject-matter expertise
8. Proven programmer in Python
9. End-to-end experience assembling, manipulating, and analyzing data (including data extraction, cleaning, visualization, presentation, etc.)
10. Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
11. Experience working with distributed computing tools such as Presto, Hive, or Spark
12. Experience with at least one production programming language such as C++ or Java
**Equal Opportunity:** Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.