Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Our team’s mission is to “apply cutting edge methods to understand and improve Facebook’s impact on society.” Facebook is committed to tackling societal issues, like societal violence, public health, in/equality, political participation, and election integrity. We are computational social scientists dedicated to addressing research questions related to these issues and applying the highest quality science to developing solutions to improve Facebook’s impact on society.
1. Work with large amounts of data in service of concrete conclusions and actionable insights
2. Communicate complicated technical topics and nuanced insights to diverse audiences
3. Learn new tools and languages quickly as required by the particular project you are working on, with tasks ranging from data processing to production engineering to modeling and machine learning
4. Work both independently and collaboratively with other scientists, engineers, designers, UX researchers, and product managers to accomplish complex tasks that deliver demonstrable value to Facebook's community of over 1.7 billion users
5. Think creatively, proactively, and futuristically to identify new opportunities within Facebook's long-term roadmap for data-scientific contributions
6. Experience in manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying source
7. Knowledge about empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
8. Experience communicating complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
9. Fluency with at least one scripting language such as Python or PHP
10. Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
11. Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
12. PhD in Political Science, Sociology, Statistics, Economics, Information Science, Computer Science, or related field
**Equal Opportunity:** Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.