La Costa Resort and Spa
Nestled among the beautiful coastal foothills of Carlsbad, CA, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa is honored as the #1 Wellness Spa by Spa magazine. Omni La Costa's acclaimed restaurants present an updated take on locally inspired cuisine and culinary delights. Steps from your door, world-class accommodations, championship golf and tennis, eight pools and more anxiously wait to welcome your arrival.
Omni La Costa associates enjoy a dynamic and exciting work environment, comprehensive training and mentoring, along with the pride that comes from working for a company with a reputation for exceptional service. We embody a culture of respect, gratitude and empowerment day in and day out. If you are a friendly, motivated person, with a passion to serve others, Omni La Costa may be your perfect match.
The Cook 3 is a valuable member of Omni La Costa's legendary Culinary Team, possessing "entry" or "beginning" level culinary experience. Our Cook 3's prepare and cook food and performs other related culinary functions. Most successful Cook 3's will have prior culinary experience prior to joining the team. Cook 3's shall possess either basic culinary skills or demonstrate the ability to learn these skills with practical training instruction. Cook 3's shall able to accomplish assigned stations with "minimal" supervision. The expectation is that Cook 3's shall perform at least one or two stations with minimal supervision. Cook 3's will have a "basic" understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures. After receiving instruction, they shall have the ability to correctly utilize and prepare specific menu items with the required products and ingredients. He or she shall be able to assist with opening and closing procedures as needed, following the guidance from Cook 2's, 1's and Sous Chefs. Culinary skills will be proven by on the job performance and / or evaluation and tastings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Cook 3's must:
- Cook and prepare food according to Omni standards and accomplish tasks related to preparation.
- Possess and demonstrate either basic culinary skills.
- Be able to accomplish assigned stations with "minimal" supervision. The expectation is that Cook 3's shall perform at least one or two stations with minimal supervision.
- Have a "basic" understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Be able to assist with opening and closing procedures as needed, following the guidance from Cook 2's, 1's and Sous Chefs.
- Have the ability to proactively observe, work and learn stations from other Cooks and Chefs.
- Maintain basic knife handling skills
- Have basic knowledge and understanding of Eco Sure and health department standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment; use equipment and tools only as intended, properly and safely
- Be able to set-up up workstations with required mise en place, tools, equipment and supplies according to standards
- Be able to follow prep lists accurately.
- Have the ability to comprehend and follow recipes accurately.
- Demonstrate the ability to start prep work on items needed for the particular menu of the day
- Inform the Sous Chef and other Cooks as needed of any shortages before the item runs out.
- Inform F&B service staff of "86'd" items and the amount of available menu specials throughout the meal period.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Sous Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Review status of work and follow-up actions required with the team before leaving
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Experience and Skills:
- County of San Diego approved Food Handlers Training and certificate
- 0-2 years experience as a Line Cook at a 4/5 star hotel or restaurant.
- Ability to communicate in English with guests, co-workers and management to their understanding
- Basic Culinary Talent and / or interest / knowledge
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- 1-2 years of experience as a line cook
- 4 or 5 Star hotel/restaurant culinary experience
- Certification of culinary training or apprenticeship.
- High school diploma or equivalent vocational training certificate
- High volume experience.
- Prior hotel/resort experience
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE REQUIRED
A San Diego County Foodhandler's card or ServeSafe Certification will be required prior to the start of employment.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, feel, reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and talk or hear. Simple grasping of objects of less than 5 lbs. on a constant basis. Pushing and pulling food supplies from 5 to 20 lbs. as needed. Lifting sacks of potatoes, onions, ice carvings 2 to 3 times daily of up to 50 lbs. Fine skillful manipulation needed to do first class presentation and taste. When using slicer or other electrical equipment proper body balance is required.
Percentage of time during normal work day, the associate is required to:
Sit 5%, Stand 90%, Kneel 5%, Bend 40%, Twist 60%,
Climb 1%, Squat 20%, Lift 50%, Walk 60%, Reach 60%.
Lifting boxes of variety of foods from walk-in refrigerator to prep area (8-12 feet).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Time spent inside 8 hours. Normal range of temperatures and normal range of humidity. Extreme hot 20% when working with hot water or deep fryer. Extreme cold 2% in walk in freezer. Exposed to food odors, grill items on a daily basis. Able to handle hot and cold water and kitchen chemicals and all types of foods, meats, seafood, vegetables, vinegar, spices, herbs and oils.
EQUIPMENT/PROTECTIVE CLOTHING USED:
Use of meat slicer, robo coupe, buffalo chopper, blender, stick blender. Non-skid shoes.
Omni Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer - vets/disability. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement are available using the following links: EEOC is the Law Poster and the following link is the OFCCP's Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination policy statement . If you are interested in applying for employment with Omni Hotels & Resorts and need special assistance to apply for a posted position, please send an email to email@example.com .