La Costa Resort and Spa
Nestled among the beautiful coastal foothills of Carlsbad, CA, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa is honored as the #1 Wellness Spa by Spa magazine. Omni La Costa's acclaimed restaurants present an updated take on locally inspired cuisine and culinary delights. Steps from your door, world-class accommodations, championship golf and tennis, eight pools and more anxiously wait to welcome your arrival.
Omni La Costa associates enjoy a dynamic and exciting work environment, comprehensive training and mentoring, along with the pride that comes from working for a company with a reputation for exceptional service. We embody a culture of respect, gratitude and empowerment day in and day out. If you are a friendly, motivated person, with a passion to serve others, Omni La Costa may be your perfect match.
The Cook 3 is a valuable member of Omni La Costa's legendary Culinary Team, possessing "entry" or "beginning" level culinary experience. Our Cook 3's prepare and cook food and performs other related culinary functions. Most successful Cook 3's will have prior culinary experience prior to joining the team. Cook 3's shall possess either basic culinary skills or demonstrate the ability to learn these skills with practical training instruction. Cook 3's shall able to accomplish assigned stations with "minimal" supervision. The expectation is that Cook 3's shall perform at least one or two stations with minimal supervision. Cook 3's will have a "basic" understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures. After receiving instruction, they shall have the ability to correctly utilize and prepare specific menu items with the required products and ingredients. He or she shall be able to assist with opening and closing procedures as needed, following the guidance from Cook 2's, 1's and Sous Chefs. Culinary skills will be proven by on the job performance and / or evaluation and tastings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Cook 3's must:
- Cook and prepare food according to Omni standards and accomplish tasks related to preparation.
- Possess and demonstrate either basic culinary skills.
- Be able to accomplish assigned stations with "minimal" supervision. The expectation is that Cook 3's shall perform at least one or two stations with minimal supervision.
- Have a "basic" understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Be able to assist with opening and closing procedures as needed, following the guidance from Cook 2's, 1's and Sous Chefs.
- Have the ability to proactively observe, work and learn stations from other Cooks and Chefs.
- Maintain basic knife handling skills
- Have basic knowledge and understanding of Eco Sure and health department standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment; use equipment and tools only as intended, properly and safely
- Be able to set-up up workstations with required mise en place, tools, equipment and supplies according to standards
- Be able to follow prep lists accurately.
- Have the ability to comprehend and follow recipes accurately.
- Demonstrate the ability to start prep work on items needed for the particular menu of the day
- Inform the Sous Chef and other Cooks as needed of any shortages before the item runs out.
- Inform F&B service staff of "86'd" items and the amount of available menu specials throughout the meal period.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Sous Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Review status of work and follow-up actions required with the team before leaving
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Experience and Skills:
- County of San Diego approved Food Handlers Training and certificate
- 0-2 years experience as a Line Cook at a 4/5 star hotel or restaurant.
- Ability to communicate in English with guests, co-workers and management to their understanding
- Basic Culinary Talent and / or interest / knowledge
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- 1-2 years of experience as a line cook
- 4 or 5 Star hotel/restaurant culinary experience
- Certification of culinary training or apprenticeship.
- High school diploma or equivalent vocational training certificate
- High volume experience.
- Prior hotel/resort experience
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE REQUIRED
A San Diego County Foodhandler's card or ServeSafe Certification will be required prior to the start of employment.
Omni Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer - vets/disability. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement are available using the following links: EEOC is the Law Poster and the following link is the OFCCP's Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination policy statement
If you are interested in applying for employment with Omni Hotels & Resorts and need special assistance to apply for a posted position, please send an email to email@example.com .