This role is located in COLUMBUS, OHIO.
CDM Smith is seeking an Automation Engineer with a passion for Automation and a curiosity to explore new technologies to help drive and advance our practice.
As a member of the Columbus Automation team, the Automation Engineer will contribute to CDM Smith's mission by:
Independently leading and developing solutions for automation engineering and SCADA projects. This role requires an individual who is experienced and passionate about Process Control Systems, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Human Machine Interface (HMI) programming, network and computer configuration, and control system maintenance and troubleshooting. Individual should have a desire to continue to enhance and grow their skills.
• Leading control system designs consisting of development of Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), instrumentation and control system specifications and development of control strategies used for programming.
• Leading testing and startup team for basic to moderately complex instrumentation, controls and related systems with minimal supervision and assistance. Responsible for developing testing and startup documentation and complying with quality assurance requirements.
• Reviewing contractor’s submittals and responding to Requests for Information (RFI).
• Representing the project team for the instrumentation and control portion of a project at client and contractor meetings.
• Developing basic technical memoranda and preliminary engineering reports under limited supervision. Able to convey highly technical information across all levels of the organization.
• Independently developing basic to highly complex Operations & Maintenance (O&M) manuals for control systems programmed.
• Independently developing control systems training for end users. Develops training plans suitable for all levels of client's organization.
• Acting as a mentor for lower level employees and supervising the work of a few engineers who are assisting on assigned projects. Provides feedback on client relationships and assists with career development.
• Developing and monitoring budgets to meet project profitability.
• Leads the development of proposals and client presentations. Develops opportunities to expand contracts with existing clients.
• Performs other duties as required.
Automation Engineer 6
**CDM Smith Employment Type:**
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Technology or related discipline.
• Professional engineering (PE) license.
• 10 years of related experience.
Domestic and/or international travel may be required. The frequency of travel is contingent on specific duties, responsibilities, and the essential functions of the position, which may vary depending on workload and project demands.
• Experience with Water/Waste Water highly preferred
• Experience with cybersecurity
We attract the best people in the industry, supporting their efforts to learn and grow. We strive to create a challenging and progressive work environment. We provide career opportunities that span a variety of disciplines and geographic locations, with projects that our employees plan, design, build and operate as diverse as the needs of our clients. CDM Smith is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
**Why CDM Smith?:**
CDM Smith provides lasting and integrated solutions in water, environment, transportation, energy and facilities to public and private clients worldwide. As a full-service consulting, engineering, construction, and operations firm, we deliver exceptional client service, quality results and enduring value across the entire project life cycle.
**Job Site Location:**
Midwest United States
All vendors must have a signed CDM Smith Placement Agreement from the CDM Smith Recruitment Center Manager to receive payment for your placement. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of the CDM Smith staff will not be considered binding terms. All unsolicited resumes sent to CDM Smith and any resume submitted to any employee outside of CDM Smith Recruiting Center Team (RCT) will be considered property of CDM Smith. CDM Smith will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.
**Amount of Travel Required:**
**Visa Sponsorship Available:**
No - We will not support sponsorship, i.e. H-1B or TN Visas for this position
**Skills and Abilities:**
• Expert knowledge of instrumentation, controls and related systems.
• Strong PLC and HMI programming skills.
• Excellent communication skills and comfortable communicating on video platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft office suite of programs.
**Background Check and Drug Testing Information:**
CDM Smith reserves the right to require background checks including criminal, employment, education, licensure, etc. as well as credit and motor vehicle when applicable for certain positions. In addition, CDM Smith may conduct drug testing for designated positions.
Background checks are conducted after an offer of employment has been made in the United States. The timing of when background checks will be conducted on candidates for positions outside the United States will vary based on country statutory law but in no case, will the background check precede an interview.
CDM Smith will conduct interviews of qualified individuals prior to requesting a criminal background check, and no job application submitted prior to such interview shall inquire into an applicant's criminal history. If this position is subject to a background check for any convictions related to its responsibilities and requirements, employment will be contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history. Criminal history will not automatically disqualify a candidate.
In addition, during employment individuals may be required by CDM Smith or a CDM Smith client to successfully complete additional background checks, including motor vehicle record as well as drug testing.