TECHNICAL SUPPORT MANAGER
REQUISITION ID 355471
WORK LOCATION: Johns Hopkins@Mt Washington, 5801 Smith Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21209
The Technical Support Manager will manage a team of engineers responsible for supporting Server Virtualization and Public Cloud Services. The team is responsible for offering server and application hosting platforms on premise and in the public clous such as Azure. Scope of responsibility is enterprise wide, encompassing the clinical, research, educational and adminstrative areas of Johns Hopkins. This position is responsible for the development of the strategic technical direction for the mainframe and mid-range processing environments in direct support of JHM initiatives.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will lead a team of engineers supporting on-premise infrastructure and Public Cloud framework. This position will be responsible for helping to increase adoption of public Cloud Infrastructure. The manager will provide guidance, tasking, and project management oversight to the team. Infrastructure under the management of this team is measured by high availability, security and performance.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Core technologies managed by the team include VMWare, Azure and AWS. Experience supporting virtual and/or cloud infrastructure is required. Prior supervisory or management experience is desired.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. Advanced degree preferred. In absence of degree, requires a minimum of ten years’ experience with a minimum of five years involving leadership of a large complex project
Requires 8 years of relevant experience, with 3 years in a management role.
- Supervision and oversight of team operations.
- Manages staff performance and has responsibility for team recruitment and performance management.
- Mentors and develops staff.
Manages a computer hardware and software budget at the value of approximately 7 million dollars.
- Recommends improvement to policies, practices and guidelines.
- Proactively anticipate issues to prevent or minimize concerns and effectively provide conflict resolution.
- Prioritizes and organizes work to meet goals.
- Determines strategic technical direction which may result in equipment and/or software acquisitions for up to 4 million dollars in value.