General Position Summary:
The Epic report writer II will work with internal and external stakeholders to analyze, create specifications, build, test, and implement reports that are needed to support the Epic application. The expectations of an Epic Report Writer II include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Demonstrated specialized knowledge of, and expertise in relational databases.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency with Report Writing tools such as: Crystal Reports, Business Objects, and SQL.
- Demonstrated specialized knowledge and expertise in at least one Epic data model.
- Demonstrated understanding of the relevant clinical and/or business operation functions.
- Demonstrated proficiency in data gathering techniques.
- Demonstrated high proficiency in all skills required to analyze and facilitate complex system enhancements needed for the on-going support of reporting needs.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in creating detailed report specifications.
- Communicates effectively with internal and external stakeholders to provide ongoing support and training of reporting solutions.
- Ability to develop and document the internal procedures that will be used in conjunction with reporting.
- Ability to provide estimates and make recommendations for handling/resolving complex reporting projects.
- Works closely with technology teams to define tasks and schedules for each phase of the development life cycle.
- Evaluates software and hardware products and make recommendations for improving operations or processes.
- Assists in the research and development of new business intelligence tools and techniques for report writing.
- Works with cross functional team to design, document, develop, and test complex reports.
- Provides “as needed” project status reporting and is able to escalate issues to management.
- Maintains high ethical standard in dealing with sensitive data.
- Works with minimal supervision in support of team initiatives.
- Ability to support multiple concurrent work efforts.
- Helps to educate and coach less experienced team members. May provide input to the yearly performance evaluation of staff.
- Critical thinking and an analytical mind.
- Maintains a professional attitude.
Required Job Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college in IT or related field is required. Professional certification(s) and/or related experience beyond minimum training experience qualifications may substitute for formal education requirement on a two years experience-for-one year education basis.
- Four (4) or more years of demonstrated experience with developing clinical or Revenue Cycle reports using SQL, Crystal, or other compatible technologies.
- Four (4) or more years of demonstrated experience with relational database queries and transactions, including stored procedures.
- Demonstrated experience designing, creating, testing, and implementing complex reports using Crystal Reports and/or Business Objects Enterprise reporting tools
- Demonstrated experience using SQL query techniques
- Experience developing drill down and ad hoc reports
- Experience with OLAP and/or OLTP technologies
- Experience with data warehouses/data stores and data marts
- Experience developing a test plan and executing test scenarios related to the build
Certifications: Required to complete and pass certification in assigned EPIC application module(s) within 120 days of employment in this role
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Masters degree in IT or related field desired.
- Certified in at least one of Epic’s data model. Two or more certifications are preferred.
- Experience with clinical/business operations reporting.
- Previous experiences with reporting within Epic.
- Knowledge of current healthcare environments preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Knowledgeable of all aspects of the clinical/business operational areas that they are representing
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment, problem solve, and develop solutions
- Strong Documentation and Communication Skills
- Ability to translate user requirements into functional & design specifications
- Ability to incorporate policies, procedures, and specific clinical/business operations processing needs into reporting
- Excellent customer service skills
- Highly effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills to establish working relationships that foster optimal quality teamwork
- Strong organizational skills in managing multiple priorities
- Detailed understanding of clinical/business operations workflows and system configuration gained by participating in validation sessions with project team members and assisting in system design
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, with proficiency in Microsoft Visio and Project desirable
- Able to assist/mentor/lead less experienced team members.
We are committed to providing a healthy and safe environment for our patients, visitors and staff members. The Johns Hopkins Hospital has a tobacco-free at work policy. Employees must refrain from using any tobacco products during their work shifts — including while at lunch or on breaks, and whether they are on or off campus.