Reports to the Epic Data Warehouse manager and is responsible for the design, deployment, standards, and performance of the enterprise-wide Electronic Medical Record data architecture. This position plays an important role supporting the implementation of the enterprise strategy to leverage the EMR data assets by collaborating closely with leadership. It is important for this role to understand the information and integration needs, source systems, quality standards, report and analytic requirements, and the EMR data itself to support centralized and decentralized development of institutional and business intelligence content. Serves as a specialist/consultant on complex projects.
Responsible for business analysis and systems architecture related to business intelligence and data warehousing projects, including data integration, reporting, and analytics to support the health system objectives. Develops and validates the creation and maintenance of enterprise data definitions and metadata. Aligns enterprise data architecture and design with business needs and strategies. Conducts user interviews, facilitates modeling sessions, writes business and technical requirements, creates standards and best practices, designs solutions and implements development. Participates in project planning to ensure effective use of technology and/or business process to meet customers’ needs. Establishes and monitors project and task schedules and ensures adherence to work deadlines. Provides leadership, motivation, and direction to staff, builds teamwork, and fosters staff cohesion. Contributes to staff evaluations.
The primary responsibility of the Data Engineer is to design and deploy data models to support Tableau and other data visualization projects. This may involve extending the data warehouse with external data to meet business needs. To achieve this the Data Engineer will:
DESIGN, DEVELOPMENT, and DEPLOYMENT
- Design and deliver guidelines that allow a broad base of internal and external developers to build content sourced in the data warehouse while adhering to established standards and strategy.
- Perform discovery to understand process flows and impact on how data is generated, normal data values and potential reasons for anomalies.
- Understand requirements for data, information, reporting, and analytic needs to ensure alignment with Epic data warehouse architecture and data models.
- Support the translation of business and technical objectives into solution architecture requirements, and data architecture designs to deliver Tableau applications.
- Collaborate with the vendor Epic to design and implement scalable and extensible data architectures.
- Provide experienced leadership for strategic planning in designing and developing comprehensive, innovative and integrated solutions. Oversee and mentor junior staff by reviewing tasks and milestones for quality standards and provide guidance in system/application design and development.
- Develop database objects such as data marts cubes, queries, stored procedures, views and tables required to support appropriate levels of reporting and security.
- Develop, manage and maintain standards for the enterprise data model. Partner in the development, management, establishment, and enforcement of technical standards.
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for highly complex projects in order to deliver product in a timely fashion according to lifecycle standards.
- Integrate multiple cross-functional processes and disciplines to meet business and technical requirements by bringing perspective from all architecture domains (process, system, application information, data, and security).
- Identify areas for data quality improvement by participating in root cause analysis. Make recommendations to prevent and remediate data quality issues through the appropriate choice of architectures and practices.
- Incorporate standards for gathering requirements for aggregate navigation, response time, repeatable queries, row level security etc. into data warehouse design.
- Assist with troubleshooting and tuning of business intelligence reports.
IMPLEMENTATION AND MAINTENANCE
- Monitor changes and resolve highly complex problems requiring the highest level of technical expertise by responding as problems arise. Accomplish this by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Oversee changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Recommend and advocate for data policies, governance structures and control frameworks for the ongoing management of data to ensure convergence, synchronization, accuracy, completeness and reliability.
- Make recommendations for optimization and performance improvements to database design, as well as improvements to ETL processes and tuning of software and hardware for existing and projected needs. Work with source system owners to establish and measure data quality metrics, investigate and resolve source data issues, and continuously evaluate and refine transformation rules.
- Define roles and responsibilities for centralized and decentralized data management functions.
- The ability to embrace change, adapt to the unexpected, and focus energies, people, and solutions on practical and positive results Strong written and oral communication skills to effectively lead change, and communicate with business and IT staff.
- Develop guiding principles, standards, and best practices consumed by Epic Reporting and Analytic teams.
- Collaborate with, and frequently lead, other technical experts, architects and subject matter experts to contribute technology elements with a focus on BI technologies for the enterprise.
- Address highly complex problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Track a broad range of emerging technologies to:
- Determine their maturity and applicability to the enterprise
- Assess the relative impact to IT strategy and interprets meaning to senior IT leadership team
- Lead and manage strategic activities, including adoption of enterprise products and continuous integration strategies
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field of study. Master’s Degree, preferred. May substitute work experience where appropriate. Technical certifications in Epic Clarity and Caboodle, preferred.
Six years of work experience with computer systems and applications. Requires demonstrated experience in developing ER and dimensional models, data architecture and data warehousing.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA’s):
- Requires a thorough knowledge of data modeling, data warehouse, data management, and database development in health system operations.
- Strong technical knowledge of data integration tools, data modeling tools, metadata tools, and database design. Additional knowledge of ETL processes, BI analytics and development strategies, SQL programming, relational databases and ER/dimensional modeling techniques required. Understands the range of options and best practices for common ETL design techniques such as change data capture, key generation and optimization, and performance tuning.
- Experience with all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC). Strong proficiency in SQL programming, query writing, query performance tuning, and database technologies. Ability to distill and articulate technical and organizational approach to clinical data needs. Demonstrated experience in strategic guidance and project creation for data warehousing and business process automation.
- Proficient analytical ability to solve complex technical problems and lead project work of a diversified staff in a matrix managed groups.
- Ability to convey technical methods, approaches, and plans to an audience of varying degrees of technical understanding including clinical and business stakeholders and technical team.
- Ability to manage long-term vendor relationships, including resolution of production issues and upgrades, to guide future product development to meet the needs of the organization.
- Team player with experience leading and collaborating cross-team to ensure successful delivery of solutions.
- Translates business and technology requirements into functional and technical specifications to design, develop, and implement relational and dimensional data models.
- Ability to lead technical and business colleagues via influence and without authority.
- Deploy and manage data marts with EMR data that aligns with enterprise strategy and related business architecture.
- Ability to develop operations planning and clinical reports using enterprise level reporting packages (Tableau, Business Objects).
- Preferred Experience with the following databases, workbenches, and codebases: SQL Server, SQL Server Management Studio, SSIS, Java, C++, PHP, Python, IIS, SharePoint and R.
- Must be detail oriented, articulate and persuasive to conceive and portray big data picture for the enterprise.
- Strategic business acumen and understanding of organization strategy, with an ability to design information systems to fulfill that strategy.
- Train technical and/or other staff in their work processes and competencies. Provides guidance and direction to technical staff. Leads project development.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively and prioritize conflicting demands.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, demonstrating outside-the-box problem solving skills.
- Design Modelling – Designing and developing relational and dimensional models
- Data Architecture, Scripting, Querying – SQL Server Management Studio, SSIS, SSRS, Views, Stored Procedures
- BI Visualization – Tableau/Epic RADAR
- Report Design & Development – SAP Business Objects/Crystal Reports
- Report Publication – Epic Hyperspace/Epic Crystal Integration
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.