The Brewer 1 is responsible for cellaring, brewing and maintaining the brewery facility and equipment according to established SOP. Brewer 1 executes the production schedule under the direction of the Brewing/Cellar Lead(s) and works toward the production of beer that is consistent, to spec. and on schedule. The Brewer 1 works to maintain a safe, clean and organized brewery.
- Beer: Works independently and as part of the team to produce beer according to quality specifications while minimizing loss and adhering to SOP.
- Business: Looks for opportunities to improve operations, update SOPs and innovate processes.
- People: Sets personal development goals and works with managers to advance professionally as part of the Highland Team.
- Place: Maintains a clean brewery, keeps a vigilant eye towards safety and upholds Preventative Maintenance schedule.
Full-Time Hourly, Non-exempt
Production Brewing Manager, Cellar & Yeast Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Fermenter and Brite tank CIP/SIP, facility cleaning and maintenance
- Beer transfers, Lenticular filtration, Centrifugation and carbonation
- Dry hopping, fruiting and coffee additions to fermenting beer
- Yeast and hops waste removal and offloading
- Assists Cellar & Yeast manager in the harvesting and management of yeast
- Sets up hoses and fittings for the day’s filters/brews
- Trains actively to advance to Brewer 2:
- Produces quality wort according to Highland specifications including, but not limited to, target gravity, IBU, color, and volume
- Communicates all pertinent batch/job related information at shift changeover
- Receives raw materials, rotates stock, takes inventories, and monitors raw material performance
- Monitors and records beer transfer data from Mash through Brite tank
- Completes required paperwork accurately and in a timely manner
- Follows all established safety procedures and wears appropriate PPE
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum of high-school diploma is required
- Certification from recognized Brewing program and/or equivalent industry experience preferred
- Minimum 1 year working in a production brewery setting strongly preferred
- Experience operating beer clarification equipment: Lenticular filter, Plate and Frame filter or Centrifuge is strongly preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of fermentation science and the elements of brewing
- Understanding of microbiological science and sanitary practices
- Understanding of industry standard brewing and cellaring practices
- Ability to (independently or under guidance) install, maintain and modify most mechanical components of the brewhouse, fermentation, and filtration systems
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems related to product and/or equipment
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work to meet deadlines in a fast paced setting
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of recipes, processes, procedures, and other internal information
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Be an excellent team player
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
- Willingness to work on and around potentially dangerous equipment/machinery is required.
- Willingness to work in an environment with high noise levels is required.
- Willingness to work in an environment with temperature extremes is required.
At-Will Employment: Employment with Highland Brewing Co. may be terminated by either Highland or the employee at any time with or without cause or notice.