Job Summary The City of Asheville is seeking a temp/seasonal Laborer to join the Public Works Sanitation team. The purpose of this position is to perform as a laborer on the sanitation crew collecting trash and brush for the citizen's of the City of Asheville.
Full Time 40 Hrs Week; Monday -Thursday 7 am-5:30 pmThis position is a temporary/seasonal position. This position will NOT be eligible for benefits, paid leave time (vacation, sick, holiday) nor participation in the retirement system.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs brush collection as primary function of the Laborer in Sanitation position.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on equipment, such as checking and filling fluid levels, greasing joints, etc.; fuels equipment.
- Performs events set-up and break-down functions.
- Inspects equipment daily and reports need for repairs; assists in repair work.
- Utilizes hand tools to cut brush, trees and grass along roadsides.
- Picks up debris and refuse at roadsides.
- Loads and unloads materials on and off of trucks.
- Directs traffic at construction and/or maintenance sites.
- Positions signs, marking cones, flags, etc., to identify work areas.
- Provides weather related maintenance.
- In the Sanitation Division, operates compactors, as needed.
- May complete logs and/or forms.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Education & Experience Education/Experience:
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines; level of knowledge is equivalent a high school diploma or equivalency; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Valid NC Driver's License is required.
- Majority of work is performed outside of with exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
- Frequent physical effort is required.
- Able to repetitively lift heavy loads.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions Knowledge:
- General knowledge of learned procedures, practices, routines to deal effectively with routine work.
- Working knowledge of the functions and activities of assigned maintenance and/or construction crews.
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and the proper safety precautions involved in public works maintenance and construction activities.
- Some knowledge of the standard methods, materials and equipment employed in basic construction and maintenance operations, including grounds maintenance work.
- Ability to use and care for a variety of hand tools.
- Ability to follow oral instructions.
- Ability to learn and follow routine procedures.
- Ability to perform strenuous work under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.