Location La Costa Resort and Spa
Nestled among the beautiful coastal foothills of Carlsbad, CA, Omni La Costa Resort & Spa is honored as the #1 Wellness Spa by Spa magazine. Omni La Costa's acclaimed restaurants present an updated take on locally inspired cuisine and culinary delights. Steps from your door, world-class accommodations, championship golf and tennis, eight pools and more anxiously wait to welcome your arrival.
Omni La Costa associates enjoy a dynamic and exciting work environment, comprehensive training and mentoring, along with the pride that comes from working for a company with a reputation for exceptional service. We embody a culture of respect, gratitude and empowerment day in and day out. If you are a friendly, motivated person, with a passion to serve others, Omni La Costa may be your perfect match.
Job Description SUMMARY
The Cook 2 is a valuable member of Omni La Costa's legendary Culinary Team, possessing " intermediate" level culinary experience. Our Cook 2's prepare and cook food and performs other related culinary functions. He / she shall possess strong culinary skills and have "intermediate level proficiency" in Culinary functions. Cook 2's shall be able to accomplish most of their tasks with "minimal" supervision and some guidance, depending on complexity and skill level required and have a solid understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures. They shall have the ability to correctly utilize and prepare food with most all of the products and ingredients being developed or currently in use for the kitchen. He or she should be able to perform multiple stations as needed including opening and closing procedures with some supervision. The Cook 2 shall be able coach and help Cook 3's to complete their job functions. Culinary skills will be proven by on the job performance and / or evaluation and tastings.
Responsibilities ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Cook 2's must:
- Prepare and cook food and perform other related culinary functions.
- Demonstratae strong culinary skills and have "intermediate level proficiency" in Culinary functions.
- Be able to accomplish most of their tasks with "minimal" supervision and some guidance, depending on complexity and skill level required.
- Have a solid understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Have the ability to correctly utilize and prepare food with most all of the products and ingredients being developed or currently in use for the kitchen.
- Be able coach and help Cook 3's to complete their job functions.
- Maintain knowledge of traditional knife skills and consistently apply such skills in the kitchen.
- Be able to correct and coach Cook 2's and Cook 3's to ensure consistency and standards and excellence.
- Be able to move/cover from different stations following Omni standards as well as Chefs standards.
- Have the ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy.
- Be able to move/cover most all of the different stations following Omni standards as well as Chefs standards. Be able to work any station as needed with appropriate supervision.
- Be able to execute soups and sauces with minimal supervision.
- Have the ability to prioritize, organize and follow-through.
- Have the ability to work well under pressure of meeting production schedules and timelines for guests orders.
- Maintain good understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- Be knowledgeable and able to maintain, correct and follow Eco sure and health department standards.
- Work with Cook 1 and sous chefs to set up and stock most of the stations with necessary supplies and prep lists with minimal supervision.
- Perform opening checklist with minimal supervision.
- Set up workstation with required mise en place, tools, equipment and supplies according to standards.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers.
- Be able to follow recipe cards and prep lists accurately
- Ability to comprehend and follow recipes.
- Complete opening and closing procedures
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment; use equipment and tools only as intended, properly and safely.
- Ensure that food comes out simultaneously, in high quality and in a timely fashion.
Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods or "need" times to the Sous Chef(s) and Cook 1's to ensure optimum service to guests.
Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Required Skills and Experience:
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2-4 years experience as a Line Cook at a 4/5 star hotel or restaurant
- Ability to communicate in English with guests, co-workers and management to their understanding.
- Intermediate Culinary Talent
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE REQUIRED
- Certification of culinary training or apprenticeship.
- High school diploma or equivalent vocational training certificate.
- Prior hotel/resort experience
- High-volume experience
A San Diego County Foodhandler's card or ServeSafe Certification will be required prior to the start of employment.
Omni Hotels & Resorts is an equal opportunity employer - vets/disability. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement are available using the following links: EEOC is the Law Poster and the following link is the OFCCP's Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination policy statement
If you are interested in applying for employment with Omni Hotels & Resorts and need special assistance to apply for a posted position, please send an email to email@example.com .