Overview Richmond Hotel
Located in the center of Richmond's financial district and overlooking the James River, The Omni Richmond welcomes its guests with a taste Southern Hospitality. The Omni Richmond is the premier destination for business and leisure travelers alike. Steps away you will find wonderful restaurants, shopping, and entertainment.
Come be a part of an amazing team where we inspire and reward our associates! Every other Friday the Management Team hosts an Associate Appreciation event to show their appreciation for their associates and give them a much deserved break from the work day. The Omni Richmond prides itself on having a bi-annual management training class where current associates participate in a 6 month program to prepare them for advancing their careers.
Overall responsibility for the efficient and effective running of the kitchen and food production outlets, ensuring operating costs are minimized. Responsible for the execution of all Omni Hotel and company policies/procedures, ensuring that all services provided achieve the established standards, within the agreed budgetary controls. To advise the Food and Beverage Director on all matters relating to the kitchen area. In conjunction with the Executive Steward, ensure a high standard of cleanliness and hygienic practice throughout the kitchen.
- To assist the Food and Beverage Director in budgeting i.e. food cost/payroll/etc.. When agreed, control all overheads/achieve food cost budget throughout the oncoming year/report all variances from actual budget with the reasons and recommendations for remedial action.
- Agree with other Food and Beverage Department managers on the market potential for food outlets relating to the market competitors and the availability of the product.
- In conjunction with the Food and Beverage Director, plan and implement menu design, creating suitable dishes and passing standards recipes to the food & beverage controller for costing.
- To work with the Food and Beverage Director with capital expenditure items for the food and beverage department.
- Ensure guest satisfaction with the smooth and effective running of the day-to-day operation.
- To maintain control of the standards for purchasing and receiving items.
- Work closely with the storeroom manager and food and beverage controller to establish and maintain control of the standards for purchasing and receiving items. To test and evaluate products for quality, paying particular attention to yield/holding qualities/market price/wastage usage of leftovers.
- To control requisitioning of food quantities, by forecasting volume, to achieve maximum profitability by avoiding over/under production.
- To create recipes and production methods.
- To compile new banquet menus when required.
- Constantly inspect all food service sections during service time to ensure that the correct standards are maintained!!!
- Responsible for control of equipment and scheduling maintenance.
- To maintain an up-to-date knowledge of local and international market trends in order to create food products which satisfy guest needs, thereby maximizing sales opportunities in food outlets
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of competitors food production/offering.
- Assist in the promotion of in house sales activities, such as culinary festivals, chef specialties and culinary competitions.
- To plan/organize/control the efficient and effective utilization of all food production staff, especially in scheduling and controlling overtime!!!
- To interview/recruit suitable staff for the operation, in conjunction with personnel and the food and beverage director.
- To oversee the training/development of all kitchen staff by ensuring that effective on and off the job training is carried out!
- Be aware of state legislation in employment and industrial relations.
- To establish effective and efficient office procedures in handling daily menus/banquet menus/purchase requirements/general correspondence/filing and records.
- To perform all duties applicable to a department manager within the hotel.
- To actively participate in the critical path task sheet for the food and beverage department.
- To conduct/attend all required department meetings.
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- Candidate must have at least 5 years experience in a Executive Chef kitchen management capacity and excellent knowledge of current culinary trends.
- Must have experience in high volume hotel business.
- Must be competent in culinary creativity as demonstrated by cooking test.
- With strong knowledge of food cost and inventories.
- Must possess the ability to handle stressful and busy hotel.
- Candidate must have good knowledge of computers (i.e: Excel & Word).
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidate must be comfortable to speak to guests and conduct meeting.
- Must have a good understanding of cost control.
- Candidate must be a leader and a mentor.
- Candidate will need to have hotel business experience.