Summary About Us
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.About Our Opportunity
The City of Asheville invites you to apply to be a part of the 2019 Parks & Recreation department summer staff. The goal of the Asheville Parks and Recreation Internship Program is to provide an intern with the opportunity to apply information and skills obtained in the classroom to real-life working situations. The internship also offers the opportunity to gain experience in Administration, Athletics, Aquatics, Recreation Programming, Marketing, Maintenance, and more.
The length of internship is 10 weeks, 40 hour/week (which may include weekend and nights), resulting in 400 total working hours. The start date will be June 3rd, 2019 and end August 9th, 2019. Internship Compensation: A stipend of at least $2900 which will be split into monthly payments.This internship position will NOT be eligible for benefits, paid leave time (vacation, sick, holiday) nor participation in the retirement system.
This internship will remain posted until filled with applications reviewed as they are received.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities This position is responsible for assisting in the day-to-day coordination and supervision of various activities and services in a community setting that will be administered by Asheville Parks & Recreation staff. This opportunity provides the intern with a constructive review and evaluation of their skills and competencies, allowing realistic direction to further professional development.
Education & Experience Required:
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- CPR/First Aid Certification required by the start of camp.
- Must have an active driver's license.
- Each eligible candidate shall complete a City of Asheville employment application.
- Each eligible candidate shall include a current transcript of any college or university course work completed.
- Selected candidates shall meet department standards for drug screening, background check, and driving record review, and be able to provide references as well as be eligible to work in the United States.
- Current enrollment in a four-year college or university in Outdoor Recreation Leadership, Parks and Recreation Management, Leisure Services, or a related field.
- Completion of coursework related to the internship opportunity.
- Ability to earn class credit for completing the internship.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions
- Ability to work in an office setting and use standard office equipment
- Ability to lead groups in activities
- Ability to work outdoors
- Ability to effectively communicate
- Motivated self-starter and ability to work independently at times