Summary About us:
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.About our opportunity:
The City of Asheville invites you to apply to be a part of the 2019 Parks & Recreation department summer staff. Outdoor Programs focus on both outdoor adventure and environmental science based activities. We are looking for staff who are energetic and engaging, have strong leadership skills and ability to model responsible mature behavior as they facilitate a variety of outdoor activities for youth and teens in our summer camp programming.
Shift hours are 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM, with some overnights and weekends.
Program begins Monday, June 3, 2019 and ends Friday, August 2, 2019. This position is a temporary/seasonal position. This position will NOT be eligible for benefits, paid leave time (vacation, sick, holiday) nor participation in the retirement system.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans and lads activities for youth ages 6-17.
- Acts as a leader in group or individual games.
- Prepares outdoor recreation equipment for use.
- Supervises and/or participates in outdoor recreational activities (i.e. hiking, camping, biking, fishing, rafting, canoeing, swimming and nature exploration).
- Plans and leads activities both on and off site, including some overnight camping trips.
- Administers first aid as needed.
- Attends regular staff meetings and collaborates with other program leaders.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- One year of experience (preferred).
- Adult and Child CPR/American Red Cross First Aid (must have obtained by first day of work).
- Wilderness First Responder (preferred).
- Ability to drive program vehicles.
- Current North Carolina or out-of-state driver's license.
- At least 21 years of age.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions
- General knowledge of the methods and practices of outdoor recreation programs including knowledge of the proper use of outdoor equipment and risk management systems.
- Ability to instruct outdoor recreational activities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, program participant and the general public.
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations and maintain program standards.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to work in both indoor and outdoor settings.
- Able to handle long periods of standing and physical activities.
- Physical ability to hike at least 3 miles on uneven terrain.
- May experience prolonged exposure to outdoor working environments.