Summary About us:About us:
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.About our opportunity:
Begin your career in public service with the City of Asheville's Public Works Department! The City of Asheville is currently looking to hire a full-time Equipment Operator within the Public Works Department in the Stormwater Services Division. The purpose of this position is to perform semi-skilled work in the operation of a variety of heavy motorized equipment. Selected candidates will have the opportunity to obtain their CDL license on the job and paid for by the City of Asheville.
This position offers a variety of on the job training experiences and professional development opportunities. The Public Works Department is supportive of employee development and advancement. We continually hire for these positions as our employees grow and advance within the division, department and across the organization.Work Schedule: Full Time 40 Hrs Week; Monday -Thursday 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM Benefits offered include:
Additional Benefits Include:
- Health Insurance (choice of plans)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Services Clinic available to employee and dependents during work hours
- Nationally recognized disease management programs
- 5% employer contribution to 401(k)
- ICMA 457voluntary
- Contributory retirement system (LGERS)
- 12 days paid vacation leave per year; increases with service to 20 days per year
- 12 days paid sick leave per year; increases with service to 15 days per year
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sick Leave Sharing Bank
- Medical and Dependent Care Reimbursement Plans
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Employee Discounts
- Uniforms provided at no cost to employee!
- Safety boot allowance (Twice per year)!
- On the job training; CDL licensure paid for by the COA
- Access to internal promotional opportunities
- Professional development opportunities
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates a robotic camera to perform services ranging from locating Stormwater lines on plat maps and geographical information systems software, inspecting pipes and documenting system conditions,
- performing preventative maintenance on Stormwater system, performing confined space entry operations on occasion, and performing standard operations on various types and sizes of pipelines.
- Operates a roving camera from inside a customized truck with computer joystick to photograph the inside of stormwater lines at designated intervals to visually inspect them for structural defects and blockages
- Drives truck to haul crew and equipment to worksite.
- Services, adjusts, and makes repairs to camera, equipment, and attachments.
- Cleans equipment using appropriate materials.
- Provides routine preventive maintenance of equipment, which includes checking and filling fluid levels, and greasing as necessary.
- Operates a variety of heavy motorized equipment involved in the construction and maintenance of City grounds, facilities and infrastructure, including, but not limited to, heavy trucks, front end loaders, compactors, bulldozers, tampers, rollers, etc.
- Transports equipment from location to location.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on equipment, such as checking and filling fluid levels and greasing as necessary.
- Inspects equipment daily and reports need for repairs.
- Trains less-experienced Motor Equipment Operators in operation of various types of equipment as workload and time permit.
- Performs a variety of manual or semi-skilled labor in conjunction with maintenance and construction projects.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Education & Experience Education/Experience:
Licensing and Certifications:
- High school diploma or equivalency (preferred), with some relevant experience with operating motorized equipment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- 1 year storm water construction experience preferred.
- Must have a valid NC drivers license with the ability to obtain a NC class B CDL within 90 days.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions Knowledge:
- Advanced knowledge of procedures and practices to analyze and resolve unusual or difficult problems.
- Ability to read and understand basic workplace data, such as simple forms, tables, graphs, schedules, etc.
- Ability to conduct research of existing, internal policies and procedures
- Ability to think creatively in all areas for the purpose of increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written form.
- Ability to analyze situations to pinpoint problems and assist with solving problems or identifying sources of obstacles.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines and to apply this understanding to tasks.
- Ability to bring resources together to resolve a problem or provide a solution.
- Employee lifts/carries approximately 75 lbs frequently. Very heavy physical activity required, performing strenuous daily activities. Prolonged standing, over the head reaching and lifting, climbing, carrying weight for long distances, squatting, kneeling and crawling. Periodic shoveling requiring lifting from ground to waist to shoulder.
- Work exposes the employee to the usual hazards and working conditions associated with heavy equipment operation. Duties assigned to employees in this class may vary according to the needs the department assigned and/or allocation of equipment and workload. Work is performed under general supervision of a Labor Crew Supervisor, and is evaluated in terms of the care exercised in the operation of equipment and the completeness with which instructions are followed.