Provides diabetes and hyperglycemia diagnosis, treatment, consultation, and follow-up under a supervising physician in compliance with the North Carolina Board of Nursing. Essential Accountabilities: Provides glycemic care management to patients in an inpatient setting, diagnosing patient problem, providing treatment, performing documentation, and establishing follow-up and/or referral appointment. Performance Criteria:
- Provides age and condition appropriate care.
- Provides services within a reasonable timeframe of consult placement.
- Promotes preventive health care during the patient encounter.
- Reviews all diagnostic procedures, medications, and primary reason for encounter.
- Diagnoses patient problem and provides treatment based on objective criteria.
- Reviews patient history and performs and documents focused examination to determine and communicate appropriate care plan for glycemic management.
- Orders and interprets laboratory studies based on patient presentation and history.
- Prescribes medications as needed for glycemic management.
- Maintains complete, current, and accurate patient medical records, completing all documentation on same day as visit.
- Performs daily rounding, evaluating patient needs for regimen adjustment, education, and support.
- Utilize and manage supported technology for glycemic management.
- Utilizes interdisciplinary approach to support patient needs for coordinated care with attending provider, bedside nursing staff, case manager, and other key team members.
- Determines and prescribes appropriate regimen and recommendations for glycemic management at discharge.
- Provides communication with primary care provider regarding hospital course of treatment and disease management recommendations at transfer of care.
- Ensures appropriate referral and/or follow-up based on patient response to treatment
- Performs other duties supporting diabetes department and quality goals.
- Participates in monthly quality assurance program and operational team meetings.
- Assists with orientation and cross training of clinical staff.
- Available for on-call diabetes consultation on a rotating basis.
- Participates and supports research initiative and assists with data management and collection.