Summary About Us
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.About Our Opportunity
We are currently hiring a full-time Senior Equipment Operator
position within our Public Works, Streets Division. The ideal candidate will have experience operating a variety of heavy motorized equipment involved in the construction and maintenance of City grounds, facilities and infrastructure. They will also have a certified Commercial Driver's License in North Carolina or the ability to obtain one. Come join an excellent team!Work Schedule: Tuesday-Friday 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m
. (4 day work week)Additional Department Benefits:
Free Uniforms and Steel-Toed Shoes
Comprehensive Benefits Package
4 Day Work Week
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates a variety of heavy motorized equipment involved in the construction and maintenance of City grounds, facilities and infrastructure, including, but not limited to, heavy trucks, front end loaders, compactors, bulldozers, scrapers, motorized pan, tampers, rollers, etc.
- Transports equipment from location to location.
- Operates right-of-way tractors.
- Drives trucks along specified routes to collect and transport refuse.
- Performs rough and fine grading, hole filling, demolitions and loading dirt and debris using skid steer with backhoe.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on equipment, such as checking and filling fluid levels and greasing as necessary.
- Inspects equipment daily and reports need for repairs; assists in repair work.
- Trains less-experienced Motor Equipment Operators in operation of various types of equipment as workload and time permit.
- Performs a variety of manual or semi-skilled labor in conjunction with maintenance and construction projects.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Education & Experience Education/Experience:
Licensing and Certifications:
- High school diploma or equivalency, with at least one (1) year's experience operating motorized equipment.
- Valid North Carolina Commercial Driver's License or the ability to obtain one in 90 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions Knowledge:
Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of procedures and practices to analyze and resolve unusual or difficult problems.
- Ability to read and understand basic workplace data, such as simple forms, tables, graphs, schedules, etc.
- Ability to conduct research of existing, internal policies and procedures
- Ability to think creatively in all areas for the purpose of increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written form.
- Ability to analyze situations to pinpoint problems and assist with solving problems or identifying sources of obstacles.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines and to apply this understanding to tasks.
- Ability to bring resources together to resolve a problem or provide a solution.