Summary About Us
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. About the Opportunity Start your career with the City of Asheville's Transportation Department!
The Parking Services Division of the Transportation Department is seeking a full-time benefited Facility Attendant for City of Asheville Parking Garages. This employee is responsible for cleanliness and security of facility as well as ensuring proper operations of facility equipment. Work environment is within an enclosed, yet non-climate controlled, parking garage. Occasional operation of cash register is also required. Work is repetitive in nature, requiring efficient performance of simple and heavy-duty building cleaning and maintenance duties. This position also requires continuous contact with the general public, providing information and directions as necessary. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed through inspection of completed tasks.Job Details:
Full time, benefited position.
This position is open until filled with applications being reviewed weekly.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs overall daily cleaning and maintenance of the inside and outside of assigned parking garages.
- Cleans restrooms and replenishes paper supplies and soap as necessary.
- Ensures toilets and lavatories are functioning properly; free of clogs and obstructions that may cause overflow.
- Cleans windows, walls, woodwork and/or light fixtures.
- Empties trash receptacles.
- Sweeps, mops and/or buffs floor surfaces.
- Dusts furniture and fixtures.
- Replaces light bulbs and/or fluorescent tubes to ensure a safe and accessible facility.
- Provides customer service by answering questions and giving information and directions.
- Reports large facility maintenance issues to managers.
- Performs back up duties in the absence of other personnel.
- Provides general information regarding homelessness.
- Performs related work as required.
Education & Experience Experience in custodial work with basic knowledge of customer service.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
- General knowledge of learned procedures, practices, routines to deal effectively with routine work.
- Working knowledge of cleaning procedures.
- Working knowledge of the layout of assigned buildings and facilities.
- General knowledge of the Asheville area.
- Ability to provide directions.
- Ability to provide information regarding homelessness.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy physical work.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
- Ability to read and understand basic workplace data, such as simple forms, tables, graphs, schedules, etc.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written form.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines and to apply this understanding to tasks.
- Ability to bring resources together to resolve a problem or provide a solution.
- Majority of work is performed outside of with exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
- Frequent physical effort is required.