Summary The City of Asheville is excited to hire an Equipment Operator within the Public Works Department, Sanitation Division. The purpose of this position is to operate heavy motorized equipment used in the solid waste/sanitation collection industry and perform manual labor involved in the collection of waste.Work Schedule
: This position generally works Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. - 5:30 p.m (40 hours). However, this position may also work Fridays, weekends, holidays, or during emergency situations or special events as needed. This position is open continuously with applications being reviewed weekly.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Additional Job Functions:
- Operates a variety of heavy motorized equipment used in the sanitation industry and public works operations. Primarily operates a rear packer in the collection of brush and trash along specified routes. May also operate other heavy motorized equipment, including automated side loader, knuckleboom, and snow plow as needed.
- Shares in loading responsibilities (brush & trash) with other Equipment Operators and Laborers on truck.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on equipment, such as checking and filling fluid levels and greasing as necessary.
- Inspects equipment daily and reports need for repairs; assists in repair work.
- Performs a variety of manual or semi-skilled labor when needed for the Sanitation Division and Public Works Department.
- Trains less-experienced Equipment Operators in the operation of various types of equipment as workload and time permits.
- Performs all positional work functions in the Sanitation Division as needed.
- Performs related work as required.
Education & Experience Education/Experience:
Licensing and Certifications:
- High school diploma or equivalency preferred, with one (1) year of heavy equipment experience.
- Valid North Carolina Commercial Driver's License (Class B) or permit, or out-of-state CDL with ability to obtain NC licensure within 90 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions Knowledge, Skills and AbilitiesKnowledge:
- Advanced knowledge of procedures and practices to analyze and resolve unusual or difficult problems.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to read and understand basic workplace data, such as simple forms and schedules.
- Ability to think creatively in all areas for the purpose of increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written form.
- Ability to analyze situations to pinpoint problems and assist with solving problems or identifying sources of obstacles.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines and to apply this understanding to tasks.
- Majority of work is performed outside of with exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
- Frequent physical effort is required.