Summary The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status.We invite you to apply to join our team as a Temporary Seasonal Laborer with the Public Works Department, Sanitation Division.
The purpose of this position is to perform as a laborer on the sanitation crew collecting trash and brush for the citizens of the City of Asheville.
Work Schedule: Monday -Thursday 7 am-5:30 pm (4-day work week/40 hours per week)This position is a temporary/seasonal position. This position will NOT be eligible for benefits, paid leave time (vacation, sick, holiday) nor participation in the retirement system.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Picks up and loads debris and refuse, primarily brush and leaves, but may also collect bulky waste, animal carcasses, roadside litter, and trash.
- Operates and maintains an assortment of tools used in collection and maintenance activities.
- Completes logs and forms as needed.
- Occasional special event work, including set-up and break down of containers and waste collection.
- Work overtime and on holidays as needed.
- Assist other Public Works Departments as needed, including snow removal or debris removal during weather events.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Education & Experience Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes, and the routine operation of machines.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions Knowledge:
Skills & Abilities:
- General knowledge of learned procedures, practices, routines to deal effectively with routine work.
- Working knowledge of the functions and activities of assigned maintenance and/or construction crews.
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and the proper safety precautions involved in public works maintenance and construction activities.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Ability to use and care for a variety of hand tools.
- Ability to follow oral instructions.
- Ability to learn and follow routine procedures.
- Ability to perform strenuous work under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Majority of work is performed outside of with exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
- Frequent physical effort is required.
- Able to repetitively lift heavy loads.