Summary About Us
The City of Asheville is dedicated to providing quality service for the residents and visitors of our beautiful city, nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western North Carolina. Asheville, NC is a thriving mountain city that has a culture enriched in diversity.
The City of Asheville values and respects a diverse community, workforce and ideas, and is committed to promoting an equitable, fair, and just employment environment. Our organization seeks to create and provide access and opportunities to employees, residents and visitors to fulfill their potential through inclusive engagement practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. About our Opportunity
The City of Asheville's US Cellular Center is seek a motivated and experienced individual to join the team. The purpose of this position is to maintain and repair City facilities.
Full Time 40 Hrs Week
Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, and be flexible to adjust work schedule based on events.This position will remain posted until filled, with applications reviewed as they are received.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities An employee in this class performs skilled work in the maintenance and repair of electrical and mechanical equipment and semi-skilled maintenance and repair work requiring knowledge of building trade skills. Employee is responsible for performance at a skilled level in one or more building trades, such as electrical, plumbing, carpentry, masonry, installation of equipment, and heating and air conditioning. Work may involve supervision of semi-skilled or unskilled employees assisting with various assignments and oversight of contracted workers. Work assignments are usually performed independently and require considerable independent judgment and initiative in completing tasks efficiently. Work is performed under general supervision of the Operations Manager and is evaluated on the basis of compliance with work orders and the efficient and effective utilization of materials, equipment and labor.ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Drives van or truck to transport supplies, materials and/or workers to and from job sites.
- Supervises or acts as lead worker for a small crew on an assigned task.
- May assist in planning, developing and constructing program-related apparatus or fixtures if assigned to Civic Center.
- Performs related work as required.
Education & Experience Education/Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalency with one (1) to three (3) years of related building repair and maintenance experience, working on large scale, complex projects; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Licensing and Certifications:
- Valid North Carolina Driver's License or out-of-state with the ability to obtain the same.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions
- Thorough knowledge of the procedures, materials and equipment related to the plumbing, masonry, heating and air conditioning, carpentry and painting trades.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the maintenance trades involved in the work.
- General knowledge of the applicable codes and regulations related to the maintenance work performed.
- Skill in the use of a variety of hand and power tools necessary in performing mechanical, carpentry, electrical, plumbing and allied building repair and maintenance work.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications.
- Ability to operate the more common types of machine shop equipment.
- Ability to supervise the work of semi-skilled and unskilled workers.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.