Job Summary Are you a school bus driver or equipment operator looking for a summer job that has a flexible schedule? The City of Asheville is excited to hire Temp Seasonal Equipment Operators within the Public Works Department, Sanitation Division. The purpose of this position is to operate heavy motorized equipment used in the solid waste/sanitation collection industry and perform manual labor involved in the collection of waste, which is primarily yard waste. To be considered, you must have a valid NC Commercial Driver's License and some experience operating heavy motorized equipment, which could include driving school buses. Apply today!Work Schedule
: This position generally works Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m (40 hours). However, this position may also work Fridays, weekends, holidays, or during emergency situations or special events as needed. Opportunities for part time work are also available. Additional Perks
Uniforms and Steel-Toed Shoes Provided
4 Day Work Week
Part-Time and Full-Time Available
Team EnvironmentThis position is open continuously, with an initial application review date beginning on Monday, June 20th.
This position is classified as a temporary/seasonal position working part-time hours. This position will NOT be eligible for benefits, paid leave time (vacation, sick, holiday) nor participation in the retirement system.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Additional Job Functions:
- Primarily operates a rear packer in the collection of brush along specified routes. May also operate rear packer for collection of bulky material or trash. Opportunity to learn operation of other heavy equipment, including knuckleboom.
- Shares in loading responsibilities (brush & trash) with other Equipment Operators and Laborers on truck.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on equipment, such as checking and filling fluid levels and greasing as necessary.
- Inspects equipment daily and reports need for repairs.
- Performs a variety of manual or semi-skilled labor when needed for the Sanitation Division and Public Works Department.
- Performs all positional work functions in the Sanitation Division as needed.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Education & Experience Education & Experience Requirements:
Licensing and Certifications:
- High school diploma or equivalency, with one (1) year of heavy equipment experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Valid North Carolina Commercial Driver's License (Class B) or permit, or out-of-state CDL with ability to obtain NC licensure.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:Knowledge:
Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of procedures and practices to analyze and resolve unusual or difficult problems.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to read and understand basic workplace data, such as simple forms and schedules.
- Ability to think creatively in all areas for the purpose of increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written form.
- Ability to analyze situations to pinpoint problems and assist with solving problems or identifying sources of obstacles.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines and to apply this understanding to tasks.
- Majority of work is performed outside of with exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards.
- Frequent physical effort is required.