Job Code: 01554-4197
West Hills Hospital & Medical Center, a full-service acute care facility, has served the West San Fernando Valley for more than 50 years. With 450 expert physicians and a staff of more than 900 that brings outstanding service to every bedside, the hospital offers a full complement of advanced technology, compassion and responsive care for the improvement of human life. West Hills Hospital was the first Accredited Chest Pain Center in Los Angeles County and also provides specialized care in the Emergency Department, Intensive Care Unit, Outpatient Services, Cardiac Catheterization Labs and The Grossman Burn Center.
The Assistant Chief Financial Officer manages the Financial Accounting and Reporting Department to ensure that it is providing effective and efficient service. This individual is responsible for oversight of the Accounting and Financial Reporting operations including monthly, quarterly and year end processes.
Develops Strategy By:
• Assuming a lead role in analyzing and exploring means of reducing costs including participation in performance improvement activities.
• Participating as a member of the Hospital's Senior Management Team in the financial and functional decision making processes necessary for the successful attainment of the hospital's mission and/or strategic plan.
• Providing direction, leadership, and educational needs to hospital managers.
• Providing financial expertise in the planning of new services and the expansion of existing services promoting revenue growth.
• Serving as chief staffing officer under the direction of the CFO.
Manages Accounting & Financial Functions By:
• Assuming responsibility for the completion of Financial Reporting documents on a weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual basis such as financial operating and volume trending reports.
• Coordinating internal and external audits.
• Coordinating the completion of the annual budget and tracks the progress on a periodic basis.
• Ensuring the hospital meets regulatory and compliance needs.
• Ensuring the hospital's internal controls are sound and all Sarbanes Oxley 404 and internal controls documentation is completed.
• Maintaining accuracy of the balance sheet; completion of monthly Balance Sheet Review Guide and Financial Attestation.
• Overseeing the coordination and timely completion of month end close for the hospital and its subunits.
• Overseeing the functions of the Financial Accounting and Reporting Department to ensure completion of work in specified time frames according to departmental, division or corporate policies. As well as other non-financial departments as assigned.
• Overseeing the preparation of the annual Medicare cost report work papers.
• Participating in the hospital's monthly operation reviews as well as participating in corporate office meetings as deemed necessary.
Supports HCA by:
• Promoting consistent positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service.
• Practicing and adhering to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement."
• Performing other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
•Bachelor's degree Accounting, Finance or related field
•Master's degree in related field
•5+ years of experience in finance/accounting or Big 4 auditing/accounting experience
•Experience as a hospital Controller
Or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Licenses, Certifications, & Training:
•Certified Public Accountant
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Behaviors:
• Knowledge of financial markets (e.g., primary and secondary markets, monetary and fiscal policy, security analysis). Required
• Skill in analyzing financial statements to evaluate the organization's fiscal health and locate causes of variance in business operations. Required
• Skill in assigning the appropriate level of authority to coincide with delegated work activities. Required
• Skill in conveying to others the feeling that their work is valued and that they are important members of the team. Required
• Skill in identifying the most probable long-term consequences of an action or decision given a large number of possible future outcomes. Required
• Skill in setting priorities and work directions for others so they have a clear idea of performance expectation. Required
Last Edited: 05/15/2018