Job Code: 02531-85169
Nights (rotating weekends)
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. With 981 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, cancer care, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics.
As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community having been ranked No. 1 in the Express-News Reader's Choice Awards. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation. Methodist Hospital has been nationally recognized by Leapfrog's Hospital Safety Grade A, accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care, and designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital under Locations. General Statement of Duties:
The Histology Technician II prepares and processes tissue specimens for examination and diagnosis by a pathologist, performs more advanced and specialized histology techniques, operates and maintains equipment, performs and monitors quality control, and serves as a resource to others.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Prepares and processes surgical, autopsy, bone marrow, body fluids, and biopsy specimens for gross and microscopic examination by a pathologist. Prepares frozen sections of surgical specimens for microscopic examination by a pathologist. Prepares solutions for stains and special procedures. Performs the more advanced and specialized histology techniques.
2. Performs preventive maintenance on common instruments and keeps records of maintenance as prescribed. Understands and performs basic quality control: identifies quality control problems, participates in quality assurance monitors.
3. Assures that results are satisfactory for pathological examination. Demonstrates pro-active problem solving skills to include identifying a problem and taking appropriate action; knows when to seek guidance to complete troubleshooting protocol; communicates necessary information to Team Leader or Manager.
4. Acts as a resource to customers, both within the department and outside the department. Accepts responsibility for own development to include cross-training in other functions or positions to ensure satisfactory operation of the department or to permit flexible staffing assignments.
5. Reviews, updates, writes histology laboratory procedures.
6. Answers telephones, communicates verified test results by phone, types procedures, files paperwork and slides, faxes documents, and performs data entry/retrieval as may be required, assists with inventory of supplies.
Minimum Education, Experience and Certificates Required:
High school graduation or equivalent and HTL (ASCP) or HT (ASCP) certification.
2 years experience in histopathology. Associate or baccalaureate degree is preferred.
Equipment Utilized: Meditech, tissue processing equipment, microscopes, centrifuges, biological and fume hoods, cryostat, microtome, slide coverslipper, slide stainer, and common office equipment.
Last Edited: 05/15/2018