Carolinas HealthCare System is Atrium Health. Our mission remains the same: to improve health, elevate hope and advance healing - for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive. For more information, please visit carolinashealthcare.org/AtriumHealth Job Summary
Reviews clinical documentation and diagnostic results as appropriate to abstract data and apply appropriate ICD-9-CM/ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT 4 codes for reimbursement, external reporting, research, regulatory compliance, medical necessity, CCI, NCCI and other regulatory edits. Code and abstract medical records of low to moderate complexity within the CHS Primary Enterprise acute care facilities.Essential Functions
- Reviews low to moderate complexity medical records to identify the appropriate principal diagnosis and procedures codes, and all appropriate secondary diagnoses and procedure codes, Present on Admission, Hospital Acquired Conditions and Core Measures Indicators for all diagnosis codes.
- Measures Indicators for all diagnosis codes.
- Facilitates appropriate MS-DRG for inpatient medical records and appropriate APC assignment for outpatient medical records using UHDDS and other facility guidelines.
- Reviews charges including Evaluation and Management levels.
- Demonstrates the technical competence to use the facility encoder as it interfaces with the hospital mainframe and/or EMR in an on-site or remote setting.
- Abstracts coded data and other pertinent fields in the hospital electronic health record.
- Ensures the accuracy of data input.
- Meets established quality and productivity standards.
- Stays abreast of coding principles and regulatory guidelines related to inpatient and/or outpatient coding.
Must be able to concentrate and sit for long periods of time while reviewing electronic health records. Daily and weekly deadlines must be met in a fast paced office environment and/or at home environment.Education, Experience and Certifications.
High School Diploma or GED and courses in Medical Terminology, Anatomy & Physiology and Pharmacology. College degree preferred. One to two years coding experience in acute care setting preferred. Current RHIT, RHIA, CCS, CPC-H, CPC-A, CIC or CCS-P preferred or obtained within one year plus a passing score on CHS Coding test.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve. Posting Notes:
Not Applicable Carolinas HealthCare System is an EOE/AA Employer