Job Code: 02531-83384
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. With 981 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, cancer care, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics.
As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community having been ranked No. 1 in the Express-News Reader's Choice Awards. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation. Methodist Hospital has been nationally recognized by Leapfrogâ€™s Hospital Safety Grade A, accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care, and designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. For more information, please visit our website at www.sahealth.com and select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
General Statement of Duties:
Performs EKG studies, rhythm strips, Cardiodynes, signal averages, holter monitor (hook-up and scanning), stress testing, transcription of EKGs, and other related examinations according to established standards. Practices at a high technical level and must have knowledge to identify and classify cardiac rhythms independent of computerized interpretation so that independent selections and modification of technical factors (trouble-shooting) can occur to produce optimal results.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Demonstrates technical proficiency for EKGs, rhythm strips, and signal averages, and consistently utilize correct lead placement according to departmental policy and have a complete understanding of the MUSE storage/retrieval system.
2. Advance knowledge of cardiac anatomy, coronary vessels, principles of electrophysiology and demonstrate critical thinking and skill to recognize and correct artifact accordingly.
3. Demonstrates technical proficiency for holter hook-up/disconnect and include proper lead placement, chest prep, skin prep and proficiency for the performance of Cardiodyne studies (Pleth). Scans and edits holters without supervision at a high level of competency, must have comprehensive understanding of cardiac arrhythmias and will efficiently and competently complete all stress lab paperwork to include flow sheets and patient consent forms.
4. Maintaining all patient reports. This includes but is not limited to the following: pulling all previous reports/images/tracings, acquires signed physician orders with appropriate indicator for all exams, presenting paperwork/studies to the correct reading physician, notifying reading physicians of requests, log book entries, and entering proper patient charges into Meditech. EKG tech will ensure that all patient records are maintained private and confidential and contain pertinent and correct patient demographics.
5. Ability to properly sequence EKGs according to date and time to ensure proper sequential comparison by the EKG reader and be proficient of EKGs transcription into the MUSE system.
6. Must be able to complete assignments independently and to work as part of a team; to take instructions from supervisors; to exercise problem-solving skills; and to interact with co-workers, supervisors, patients, vendors and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
Minimum Education and Experience:
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. A graduate of an AMA medical assistant course or its equivalent preferred.
3. One-year experience in a hospital or medical office setting performing EKG procedures preferred.
4. Will consider cross training of candidates who are certified monitor technicians.
This will require recommendation by a nursing supervisor.
Minimum License and Certificates Required:
1. Preference will be given to candidates with a cardiovascular credential.
2. CPR Certification.
3. BCD or advanced arrhythmia courses.
Last Edited: 04/10/2018